Closed Solved

Whats a good thermal paste brand?

I know this is a really seless question because almost al hermal paste is th same, but I used the stock paste that came with my Gigbyte Cooler, whats the difference between that and the stock Intel and AMD paste, as well as the other"branded" paste.

Is it all the same or is the formulation different?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whats good thermal paste brand
  1. Best answer
    All pastes are different... The top dogs now are the Thermalright Chill Factor III, OCZ Freezer Extreme and the excellent IC Diamond 7. The "Silvers" are history...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7038/thr-41/Innovation_Cooling_Diamond_7_Carat_Thermal_Compound_-_15_Grams.html?id=BZWnrfIC
  2. liquidsnake718 said:
    I know this is a really seless question because almost al hermal paste is th same, but I used the stock paste that came with my Gigbyte Cooler, whats the difference between that and the stock Intel and AMD paste, as well as the other"branded" paste.

Is it all the same or is the formulation different?

often its just a few degrees

i've used thermal paste from AMD, Rosewill, Coolermaster, among others. "brand" names like artic silver 5 and Antec Silver. Currently I have IC diamond in one PC, Antec Silver in another. Going from the stock paste to Antec Silver, my CPU temps dropped 2-3c. From Antec Silver to IC Diamond they dropped 1C.

If your temps are withing normal range, then stock thermal paste is fine.
  3. ct1615 said:
    often its just a few degrees

i've used thermal paste from AMD, Rosewill, Coolermaster, among others. "brand" names like artic silver 5 and Antec Silver. Currently I have IC diamond in one PC, Antec Silver in another. Going from the stock paste to Antec Silver, my CPU temps dropped 2-3c. From Antec Silver to IC Diamond they dropped 1C.

If your temps are withing normal range, then stock thermal paste is fine.

Which method did you use to apply the IC Diamond?
  4. first time I used their instructions as stated and my temps remained the same

second time I placed a thin line on each heat pipe and then a grain of rice size on the CPU. it dropped temps down by 1c.

I wasn't surprised, antec silver is pretty good stuff. I prefer it over AS5.
  5. Ok, so your cooler has exposed heat pipes then. Mine is more traditional, the 5mm "rice" in the middle works better.
  6. Tuniq TX-3 and MX-3 are pretty good. I am currently using the Thermalright TX-2 which came along with my True Black Rev. C cooler. No problems at all. My PC ain't overclocked or anything. But still my CPU doesn't cross 35 deg after 2 hours of Starcraft!
  7. Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Thermal Compound Components