XFX Ati Radeon 5850

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Gaming
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 14, 2010 10:45:38 PM

why did the new versions of the card turn so ugly?

im gonna be getting a 5850 for my new gaming rig soon but bleh it looks so damn cheap
this looks much better in my opinion

i know that it shouldn't really matter but it does to me
is there anywhere you can buy the better looking ones anymore at the normal price of 309$?
new-egg doesn't have them :( 

More about : xfx ati radeon 5850

June 14, 2010 11:31:08 PM

I feel the same way, don't like the egg-shaped coolers!

Try the XFX website, they may link to retailers. I'll take a look.

Here is the website for XFX Radeon 5850.

I think the one with the enclosed cooler schroud, venting hot air out of back of the PCI slot, is Model HD-585A-ZNFY. I think the "A" in the number is the enclosed schroud, if pictures are accurate.

Try this one from TigerDirect.com, $309.99. But the picture could be wrong, not a 585A, it's 585X. You'll have to cross reference from the XFX website.

If anyone knows if this is, or is not the case, Let me know. I feel the same way, and looking to get a 5770.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b 4 Gaming
June 14, 2010 11:50:26 PM

foscooter said:
I feel the same way, don't like the egg-shaped coolers!

Try the XFX website, they may link to retailers. I'll take a look.

Here is the website for XFX Radeon 5850.

I think the one with the enclosed cooler schroud, venting hot air out of back of the PCI slot, is Model HD-585A-ZNFY. I think the "A" in the number is the enclosed schroud, if pictures are accurate.

If anyone know if this is, or is not the case, Let me know. I feel the same way, and looking to get a 5770.

5770 with the egg cooler ? not sure why yoou wouldn't like that even at 950 core I never break 63C w/fan @ 43%

hot air not so much
m
l
June 14, 2010 11:51:08 PM

Quote:
That one doesn't have voltage control

How do you know?
m
l
June 15, 2010 2:53:43 AM

Personal preference, just like the OP.

I actually opened a thread about this here.

My case has good cooling, just kinda anal that way.
m
l
June 15, 2010 11:04:35 PM

thank god im not the only one who is anal about this :) 

still looking for a decent website i could be buying from but yeah the egg shell cooler is gaaay!
m
l
June 15, 2010 11:20:37 PM

I received feedback in my support ticket to XFX asking about the HD 5850 models. Besides the fact that the non-reference HD 5850s (HD-585X) don't have voltage control, they're larger than the reference HD 5850s (HD-585A). The HD-585X models are 10 inches while the HD-585A models are 9.5 inches. If you have a case with good cooling, any one of them will do but if you're worried about having too much heat inside your computer case or not enough space, I would go with the reference model which vents heat outside of the case. (I am also in a similar situation as you are except my top choice would still be the reference model).
m
l
June 16, 2010 12:07:42 AM

So they refer to the enclosed shroud, venting directly out the back of the case, via the 2nd PCI slot, as a "Reference Cooler?"

Glad to see other out there care about this issue. :pt1cable: 

Can anyone definetly tell me if my letter system is correct about these coolers? It's the "A" in HD-585A-ZNFV.

Although I did find this post: XFX 5850 diffrent model numbers / questions, with this quote:

Quote:
HD-585A-ZNFV is ATI Refrence with shroud(enclosed) cooler with fan on the end

This one answered alot of questions! A = reference, X = Non-ref...

Still looking for a retailer:

1) Online Computer: $529.00
2) GameDude.com: $389.00
3) None on eBay or Amazon.

Good Luck fella. Hope I find my 5770 reference card(s).
m
l
June 16, 2010 1:20:36 AM

shadow187 said:

No software voltage control ......How do you know?

Because the majority of non reference 5850's/70's don't support it.
Saphire, HIS, Powercolor, XFX standard. non reference , don't.
The XFX xxx models do.
m
l