XFX Ati Radeon 5850

why did the new versions of the card turn so ugly?

im gonna be getting a 5850 for my new gaming rig soon but bleh it looks so damn cheap
this looks much better in my opinion

i know that it shouldn't really matter but it does to me
is there anywhere you can buy the better looking ones anymore at the normal price of 309$?
new-egg doesn't have them :(
9 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5850
  1. I feel the same way, don't like the egg-shaped coolers!

Try the XFX website, they may link to retailers. I'll take a look.

Here is the website for XFX Radeon 5850.

I think the one with the enclosed cooler schroud, venting hot air out of back of the PCI slot, is Model HD-585A-ZNFY. I think the "A" in the number is the enclosed schroud, if pictures are accurate.

Try this one from TigerDirect.com, $309.99. But the picture could be wrong, not a 585A, it's 585X. You'll have to cross reference from the XFX website.

If anyone knows if this is, or is not the case, Let me know. I feel the same way, and looking to get a 5770.
  2. foscooter said:
    I feel the same way, don't like the egg-shaped coolers!

Try the XFX website, they may link to retailers. I'll take a look.

Here is the website for XFX Radeon 5850.

I think the one with the enclosed cooler schroud, venting hot air out of back of the PCI slot, is Model HD-585A-ZNFY. I think the "A" in the number is the enclosed schroud, if pictures are accurate.

If anyone know if this is, or is not the case, Let me know. I feel the same way, and looking to get a 5770.

5770 with the egg cooler ? not sure why yoou wouldn't like that even at 950 core I never break 63C w/fan @ 43%

hot air not so much
  3. Quote:
    That one doesn't have voltage control

How do you know?
  4. Personal preference, just like the OP.

I actually opened a thread about this here.

My case has good cooling, just kinda anal that way.
  5. thank god im not the only one who is anal about this :)

still looking for a decent website i could be buying from but yeah the egg shell cooler is gaaay!
  6. I received feedback in my support ticket to XFX asking about the HD 5850 models. Besides the fact that the non-reference HD 5850s (HD-585X) don't have voltage control, they're larger than the reference HD 5850s (HD-585A). The HD-585X models are 10 inches while the HD-585A models are 9.5 inches. If you have a case with good cooling, any one of them will do but if you're worried about having too much heat inside your computer case or not enough space, I would go with the reference model which vents heat outside of the case. (I am also in a similar situation as you are except my top choice would still be the reference model).
  7. So they refer to the enclosed shroud, venting directly out the back of the case, via the 2nd PCI slot, as a "Reference Cooler?"

Glad to see other out there care about this issue. :pt1cable:

Can anyone definetly tell me if my letter system is correct about these coolers? It's the "A" in HD-585A-ZNFV.

Although I did find this post: XFX 5850 diffrent model numbers / questions, with this quote:

Quote:
    HD-585A-ZNFV is ATI Refrence with shroud(enclosed) cooler with fan on the end

This one answered alot of questions! A = reference, X = Non-ref...

Still looking for a retailer:

1) Online Computer: $529.00
    2) GameDude.com: $389.00
    3) None on eBay or Amazon.

Good Luck fella. Hope I find my 5770 reference card(s).
  8. shadow187 said:

No software voltage control ......How do you know?

Because the majority of non reference 5850's/70's don't support it.
    Saphire, HIS, Powercolor, XFX standard. non reference , don't.
    The XFX xxx models do.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Gaming ATI Graphics