Fans do not run at all new build

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I just finished building my new gaming computer I hit the power button get a CPU Error Fan Message and none of the other fans in the case are either I really need some help with this one. The full tower case I brought is the Thermaltake Spedo all the fans have the large 4 pin moulex connectors the Motherboard is the ASUS Rampage III Extreme most of the fan ports have 4 small pins so of course there is no such thing as a 4 pin to 4 pin moulex adapters made or is there?? I brought 2 of the 3 pin to 4 pin moulex type I was told they would work the only reason for the forth pin is to control the fans speed and using the 3 pin would make the fans run on high all the time which is ok for me I am not a quiet freak but, 0 fans work. The CPU fan that came with the i7 950 I did not use I used the Thermal Take 760si water cooler it has a 3 pin connector runs into 2 large 4 pin moulex connector plugged it into where it says CPU Fan 4 pins it can only go on one way it does not work either what the heck did I do wrong ?? It did look to me as if all else works fine Please help me every one and thanks for all your help Coach Jones Washington Redskins 1993'-2001'

Dogsnake

Distinguished
There should be two connections to the MB from the power supply. Are both plugged into the MB correctly? Try running the fans directly from the power supply. If you want them at full speed this is the best way to connect them. No need to plug them into the MB. You can always get speed controls for them if you need. Since the CPU fan port is not working I think you may have left one of the two MB power connections off.

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks every one made it over most of the problems. Now I have a graphics card problem.. I am not able to get the drivers to the XFX ATI Radeon 5870 to load keep getting a error message says drivers failed. Can not seem to get the people at XFX to get off there duffs with the right answer. I am going to open a new thred.. If any one see this please reply Thanks Richard

Redskins

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Your rite I hooked up the fans to my power supply with my Thermaltake 760si water cooler all fans seem to run very well ASUS has a program to run the fans also I just keep them full blast but, thinking about upgrading them to higher speed fans to get better cooling.. Thanks for your help Coach Jones

when you upgrade the fans, its not so much the fanspeed you want to pay attention to as the C.F.M. (Cubic feet per minute) numbers, its how much air the fan moves and bigger numbers (I.E. better cooling) may come from a slower speed larger fan, something to remember :)

Moto