Sign in with
Your question

How to do game benchmark + voltage tweak control

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2010 11:08:28 PM

Hello. I need to know how to do benchmark test. I know how to do benchmark with fraps, but I am having few questions:

1. How choose right place and game style? In diferent places and gamestyles you can get diferent results.

2. I have heard that there are some demo to do benchmark. If you use it you could remove gameplay problem. Where I can get it? How to instal and use it?

3. My ASUS VGA haves Voltage Tweak Control. How to use this technology, or it works automatical? What is the advantage of this technology?

P. S. Thanks ;)  I know, that my english sucks - English isn't my native language.
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 3:30:58 PM

You just google it... Some games have benchmarks built in, like Dirt 2, but you can download benchmark tools for AvP, Crysis, RE5, STALKER:CoP. I think Batman: Arkham Asylum has a built in benchmark too, not sure if the demo does tho.

Voltage tweak control simply means that the voltage is unlocked. By default it won't be used but if you run software to overclock like MSI Afterburner (recommended) or whatever ASUS program your gpu came with, you can gain higher clocks by increasing the voltage. Best way to test stability, at lest initially, is with FurMark.
Related resources
June 15, 2010 10:05:26 PM

wolfram23 said:
You just google it... Some games have benchmarks built in, like Dirt 2, but you can download benchmark tools for AvP, Crysis, RE5, STALKER:CoP. I think Batman: Arkham Asylum has a built in benchmark too, not sure if the demo does tho.

Voltage tweak control simply means that the voltage is unlocked. By default it won't be used but if you run software to overclock like MSI Afterburner (recommended) or whatever ASUS program your gpu came with, you can gain higher clocks by increasing the voltage. Best way to test stability, at lest initially, is with FurMark.

Thanks. I want to know more about benchmarks. I have low end pc so I can't do benchmarks by myself (I need to do my friend's pc benchmark). How use build in benchmarks? How to instal benchmark tools and run it? Thanks :) 
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 10:10:55 PM

It's pretty self explanatory. Once you download it they usually come as a .exe file so you just run it, sometimes it has to install other times no. Usually it opens a window where you select the game settings - detail, resolution that sort of thing - then just hit run and at the end it tells you what the min, max, avg FPS were. Dirt 2's built in benchmark you can access in the options menu, under Graphics. It's right at the bottom of the list.
June 15, 2010 10:38:40 PM

Oh thanks :)  The lasts questions: did I need have full game to do benchmark tool test. How to test vga stability after overclocking (I know, that I can play games, but maby there is especially program?
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 10:45:09 PM

I'm not sure about your first question. I think it just depends on the game. I have STALKER and Crysis, and then downloaded the benchmarks later. However I know for sure that Resident Evil 5 and Alien vs Predator benchmarks are stand alone.

To test stability your first step is running FurMark. Ideally run it at the highest resolution you can for several minutes. IMO first thing you want to do is increase mem speed and run FurMark with 4xAA. Depends on your GPU but either you'll reach a point that it crashes and/or you'll start getting lower FPS with higher mem clock. In either case, lower the clock and retest. Once you think that's stable then adjust the core clock and run the test at 0xAA. You'll know the core is too high if it gets artifacts. Sometimes you'll get crashes/bsod/freezes which can be due to either core or memory so the only way to figure it out is more testing. Once you're stable in FurMark for ~5mins at your "final" OC then start gaming. If you get wierd stuff like stuttering or crashing or freezing etc then it's because of the OC. Lower clocks and get back at it.
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 11:31:31 PM

Benchmark1st said:
Are you sure that several minutes is enouth to do stability test. When I overclocked my own vga it chrashed after half hour. Is this good for dual gpu vga (hd5970).

There is one more problem :(  I can't find max temperature for asus hd 5970 http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=mUfimOrLDCnPAFJk&...

Several minutes isn't enough to ensure stability, no. But if you're way too high you should see symptoms in that time. I just hate wasting my time so I rum 3-5 min tests while trying different settings and then use actual gaming to determine final settings.

I think the 5970 would have pretty much the same heat capacity as 5850s and 5870s which basically is that you should keep it under 80C but it can handle up to about 100C before throttling... still, to be safe somewhere in the 70s is good.
December 22, 2010 7:20:24 PM

wait, you have a low end PC? ATI 5970 it like the best of the best! Anyway, if you have Steam, www.steampowered.com , click here http://www.steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/ for a free copy of HL2 deathmatch and loast coast. then, under the Tools section of steam, download the source SDK thing (2007). After everything''s downloaded and installed, run it, and set your screen resolution and settings, run the test. It will give you a bunch of FPS benchmarks. Hope this helps for one way to get some benchmarks for free.
Can anyone direct me to a Voltage Tweaking How To for CPU's? thanks
!