Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which cases go with what mobos

Last response: in Components
September 24, 2010 5:35:20 AM

Will any mobo have I/O connectors that match up with the slots on the back of any ATX case? I want to buy a case but I don't want to have to cut the back of the case to make connections with my USB, etc. connectors. I am not sure if I am explaining this properly, but what I basically want to know is if any mobo will work with any ATX case.

More about : cases mobos

a c 164 ) Power supply
September 24, 2010 5:43:49 AM

what is your motherboard? then look for a case that supports that mobo.

as far as cutting goes, are you talking about the shield? the shield on a case is just for show, mobo's come with their own shield that replaces the cases.
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
September 24, 2010 6:52:55 AM

Any ATX case will support motherboards of both ATX and microATX dimensions.. You just have to align them properly with the screw holes provided and tighten.. No cutting is required..
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 104 ) Power supply
September 24, 2010 7:04:59 AM

your mobo should come with its own specific shield plate, you remove the old one from a case (if upgrading mobo) or a blanking panel if the new case has one, then align the new plate as it lines up with new mobo and push it into place, there are retaining clips which can be tough to pop in though so dont think it doesn't fit :) 
but yes, any Matx or Atx mobo will fit in any atx case,
dont forget your standoffs when you install mobo btw :p 
Moto
September 24, 2010 7:35:39 AM

Emperus said:
Any ATX case will support motherboards of both ATX and microATX dimensions.. You just have to align them properly with the screw holes provided and tighten.. No cutting is required..

That's right.

Might I suggest the nVidia-branded Cooler Master 690, ATX and micro-ATX. Very similar but not identical to the CM 690 ... the nVidia 690 costs $15-20 more, but the darn thing is gorgeous.

m
l
September 24, 2010 9:24:10 PM

ok, I believe you all, but my Mom bought a Gateway computer way back in 2000 and I put together an upgrade of the mobo, cpu, and ram. So, of course I used the Gateway case and I had to cut into a piece of the whole back panel because when I installed the metal piece, and I am not sure that I have all of this right, I couldn't make I/O connections. I am not sure if by the shield you mean the little 7X5 sheet of metal that comes with the mobo or you mean the metal piece that covers the entire back of the computer. My guess is that the shield is either not the whole back panel of the case or the Gateway case is just not meant for non proprietary mobos. Can someone confirm or help me understand?
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
September 24, 2010 10:01:38 PM

the case was most likely a proprietary case and/or BTX case.

Acer (owns gateway), DELL, HP, etc., have little desire to let you upgrade PC hardware, for obvious reasons.
m
l
September 24, 2010 10:17:15 PM

The shield they are referring to in this case is the little sheet of metal with cutouts that matches the ports on your M/B. It's a 2000 Gateway so it is probably proprietary. The good news is that if you already have M/B, CPU and RAM all you'll need is a cheap $30 case, that usually has like a 300 watt p/s, and you should be able to make a functioning system from the pile of parts.
m
l
September 25, 2010 4:23:41 PM

k, thx guys, I get it
m
l
October 5, 2010 12:30:09 AM

Best answer selected by dragonfly522.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 5, 2010 6:19:42 AM