Problem backing up laptop hardrive.

randomfellow

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hey everyone,

Recently my Asus Laptop has stopped booting to windows. Every time i turn it on i get a message saying that there is a hardware failure in the laptop with the dvdrom or hard drive. I called asus and they recommend sending it in because they suspect a hard drive failure. Anyways, i have all my family pictures on it. I bought a SATA 2.5 enclosure and i attempted to get all the pictures off. The hard drive and the enclosure is recognized and successfully installed by the PC i connect it to, but after going to my pictures directory and copying the pictures onto my computer i started to get problems. I keep getting an error from each single picture when i try to copy it over. I also noticed that some of the pictures look corrput, like half of it is missing. Is there any software that can fix this? Please help!

rgd1101

Don't
If it is hard drive hardware failure. no software is going to fix it. Go to a pro if the data is important but expect to pay a lot $$$. And every time you use(turn it on) it, it wear it down even more.

If you have a desktop, connect the laptop HD and try it that way.

randomfellow

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

I know that software won't fix the hard drive. But i was hoping that a program could help me extract my pictures from it. When i connect my laptop HD to my desktop it successfully installs, but i get error messages from every other file. Some files are pictures are apparently corrupted.