Sign in with
Your question

Computer just died

Last response: in Components
September 24, 2010 6:28:18 AM

I was trying to get a Lexmark printer to work and wasn't having any success. The pages were printing out blank. I thought maybe the ink in the cartridges was dried out since I hadn't used that printer for months. I also thought about re-installing the printer.

At that point, I unplugged the printer's usb cable from the rear of the desktop computer and the screen went black - except for vertical lines in the top 1 inch or so of the screen.

The computer was frozen. I tried control alt delete without success. At that point I powered off the computer via the power button. When I tried to restart the computer, it would not restart at all. No power. Nothing.

The printer usb had been plugged into a 4 port usb card that I added over a year ago. It was the only usb device plugged into the card. The other usb ports were used by other devices (external hard drives, p-touch printer, HP printer, etc.).

I am wondering if unplugging usb printer cable shorted the power supply...

Any advice out there???

Thank you,
Jeannie

More about : computer died

a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2010 7:09:54 AM

Lots of information on the info, but no specs mentioned. Please do mention what you've in your PC.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 24, 2010 7:29:56 AM

hell_storm is right. We need some system specifications. This sounds like a commercial system. If it is, we need brand and model, CPU type and speed would be nice, a list of the original equipment, a list of what you added - including all the peripherals you have plugged in. What kind of PSU? Take the side off and tell us what is on the label.

If you or someone else built it, we need brand and model of all the components used.

It is unlikely that unplugging the printer shorted the power supply. USB devices are designed to be plugged in and unplugged with the power on.

Unplug all the USB devices from the computer and remove the USB card. Does the system work?
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2010 9:31:26 AM

yeah. specs needed to identified errors mentioned.....maybe there's short circuit in ur system....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2010 1:51:19 PM

Unplug all the USB devices from the computer and remove the 4 port USB card. Does the system work? If not have you a spare power supply to hand?
m
l
September 24, 2010 9:52:51 PM

Thank you for all of your responses. I moved the computer to a storage room and it took a minute to get to it.

It is a Compaq Presario SR1922x,
Product # EX319AA
Power supply is HIPRO HP-D3057F3R - 300W

I had the following devices plugged in...not sure if all were on at the time of the crash:

1. Lexmark Printer z645 (low end bought from Walmart while traveling);
2. HP Officejet 6210xi All in one printer;
3. 3 external hardrives (SimpleTech, HD from previous computer [in external case], Acomdata);
4. Brother P-touch printer...don't think it was turned on at the time;
5. Wireless keyboard and mouse;
6. 14" flat screen monitor
7. speakers

Running Windows XP Pro

I did remove the 4 port USB card and tried to restart, but that did not work.

I removed all USB devices from the computer and tried to start. That did not work.

I reinstalled the USB card.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare power supply on hand at the moment.

Also, the inside of the computer was extremely dusty. I borrowed a friend's air compressor and blew a lot of dust out of it.

Thank you for your help.

Jeannie
m
l
September 24, 2010 9:54:42 PM

The specs from HP's site are:

Compaq Presario SR1922X Desktop PC Product Specifications

Product number
EX319AA
Introduction date 20-Jun-2006
Hardware
Base processor
Athlon 64 (V) 3500+ 2.2 GHz
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket 939

Chipset
GeForce 6150 LE
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A8N-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Nagami-GL8E

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 512 MB
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC-3200 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
Hard drive
120 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
7200 rpm

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

* Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
* Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

Function Maximum speed
DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 4X
DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 2.4X
DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 4X
DVD-R Write Once Up to 8X
DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 4X
DVD ROM Read Up to 16X
CD-R Write Once Up to 40X
CD-RW Rewritable Up to 24X
CD-ROM Read Up to 40X
Modem
56K bps data/fax modem
Video Graphics
Integrated graphics
Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio

* Realtek ALC 883 chipset
* Supports up to 8 audio channels
* Dolby Pro Logic II compatible

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader

* USB interface

* Supports the following cards:
o Compact Flash I
o Compact Flash II
o SmartMedia
o Memory Stick
o Memory Stick Pro
o MultiMediaCard
o Secure Digital (SD)
o Micro Drive
o XD Picture Card (xd = extreme digital)

External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USB One
1394 One
USB Two
Headphone One
Line-in One
Microphone One
I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two
VGA One
USB Four
1394 One
LAN One
SPDIF out (coaxial) One
Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone) One Each
Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (Two available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25" external Two (One available)
3.5" external Two (One available)
3.5" internal One (None available)
Technologies

* Vista Capable
Compaq home professional keyboard
Compaq PS/2 scroller mouse

* Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
* Microsoft Service Pack 2

CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD+RW
m
l
September 24, 2010 9:58:48 PM

I believe I added more memory a couple of years ago. I am pretty sure it was 2 sticks of Centon 512 MB DDR400 PC3200 184 pin. I still have some of the packaging...
m
l
October 8, 2010 5:12:38 AM

Just had a chance to take computer to Fry's...ran check on power supply...power supply no good. I'm going to try to replace the ps myself rather than pay the $50 labor. Hopefully that will fix the problem...will post results.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 9:04:43 AM

If you have never done this, I suggest making a list of everything you disconnect so you do not skip reconnecting something.

I am pretty sure that you have a top mounted PSU. I also suggest turning the case upside down before you remove the old PSU. Let gravity work for you, not against you.

Take some of the money you saved by doing this yourself and buy a good PSU. Something like the Corsair 400CX or an Antec Earthwatts 380 will do nicely. Or (this will sound funny) look at all the 400 watt PSU's and buy the heaviest one.
m
l
October 8, 2010 8:49:47 PM

jsc,

Thank you for the advice. I will follow your suggestions. I bought the Antec Basiq 350 watt...so I guess I'll be taking that back!!! Thanks again. :wahoo: 
m
l
!