Question regarding hard drive cloning

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • License
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 3, 2012 12:32:03 AM

I know it's possible to clone a hard drive (putting all of that data on a second hard drive and such.) I have a 100GB internal hard drive that's going to have Windows 7 Professional on it pretty soon. If I clone that hard drive, will the clone also have Windows 7 Professional installed, with the activation key already put in and such, or will I have to go out and buy a second license for the clone? I hope I'm explaining this properly...

My 100GB hard drive that I'm using is an old hard drive, but I do plan on buying a new hard drive when I have more money, so I was just wondering if I can clone my 100GB hard drive (when I actually get my new hard drive) and then replace my 100GB hard drive with my new hard drive without needing to buy a second Windows license, or does it not work like that?

More about : question hard drive cloning

a b G Storage
October 3, 2012 1:33:08 AM

No new license needed. Your system will see exactly what's on the original HDD.
m
l
October 3, 2012 1:37:59 AM

cmichael138 said:
No new license needed. Your system will see exactly what's on the original HDD.

So, as long as I clone my 100GB HDD properly onto a new hard drive, I should be able to simply stick the new hard drive in where the 100GB was before and my system will function like it did with the 100GB HDD?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 98 G Storage
October 3, 2012 1:52:30 AM

firinmylazerman said:
So, as long as I clone my 100GB HDD properly onto a new hard drive, I should be able to simply stick the new hard drive in where the 100GB was before and my system will function like it did with the 100GB HDD?

You won't notice the hard drive was replaced.....unless you look at how much space is left(assuming you get a bigger drive). I do this all the time at work. Users often don't even know they have a new machine under the desk.
m
l
October 3, 2012 2:08:51 AM

ss202sl said:
You won't notice the hard drive was replaced.....unless you look at how much space is left(assuming you get a bigger drive). I do this all the time at work. Users often don't even know they have a new machine under the desk.

Yeah, I plan on buying at least a 500GB 7200RPM HDD when I have more cash. The copy of Windows I have already has the license key implemented into the OS and such (I got the copy legitimately through school, but never used it, so the .iso has been sitting on my 1TB external for about a year :p ) I plan on installing it onto my 100GB once I build my desktop, and then afterwards, I'll just make a clone of the 100GB onto my 500GB and then... yeah :p  So as long as I can clone the OS without needing a second key, I'm set, which is why I came on here and asked the question :)  Just wanted to make sure :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 98 G Storage
October 3, 2012 2:27:02 AM

You don't need a new license for windows when you are just replacing a drive, so what you are doing is fine.
m
l
!