How is static electricity generated in vacuum cleaners

Barry Scholtz

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
How is static electricity generated in a vacuum cleaner. Can the vacuum cleaner be "Grounded" to avoid static discharge when cleaning inside a computer tower?

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
The best way to clean a computer case if by blowing air and not vacuuming it imo. Much much better. Try and get a compressed canned air thingy. Should be fine for 3-4 thorough cleaning sessions... Not sure if there is any static build up in a plastic hose from a vacuum...Wouldn't worry much about it...

Static electricity is generated by particles (air, dust, dirt, etc.) being rubbed across the insides of the vacuum and what ever is really close to the nozzle.
As far as I know, there is no way to ground the vacuum cleaner.

While most recommend against using a vacuum to clean parts, I have been doing it for years with no issues.
Personally, I believe the risk of static shock to be quite overstated.

Much more of a concern is the risk that you will suck up jumpers, cables or other small parts.
Just be sure to take care when cleaning your system and you should have no issues.

I'd also suggest making sure you vacuum in a relatively humid environment. Dry air lets static electricity build up faster and stick around longer than normal air, so shut the door to your room and open up the windows for a few minutes before beginning to vacuum. That way, any air conditioned air will be replaced with more humid outside air.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I use a vacuum all the time and never had a problem. The rules I play by: Don't make contact. Hold the tube in one hand, the case in the other. Don't let the fans spin. Don't blow, just suck.