Circuit Hard Drives become hot when plug it to power

fuNight

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Hello,
When I went to repair my other HDD (Cause:Bad Sector), i plugged it without turning PC off and the result there was it burned the power cable (I use converter from 4pin cable to sata power). And then i tried another HDD and it was just the same as the previous try.

When i unplugged it it gets hot in the circuit
And the cable was fried. (it fires up) (I spontaneously unplugged it)

I keep having a same result when trying in another PC

Can i still use it?

First try HDD: WD Green 500Gb
Sec Try HDD: WD Blue 160Gb

Sorry (My ENGLISH is bad)

rdc85

Honorable
First check the power supply if it still good....

Without any HDD, could u boot/power up the computer till it get to "Boot is missing..." message or something like that..

If it still can power up, try connect one of each HDD and check in BIOS if it detected..

edit: It not recommended to repair HDD by yourself, try to claim the warranty if u could..

fuNight

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
My psu is still on and ok.

Yes i got that message.

that's the problem. when i tried to connect my HDD
it will get the circuit hot or burn the cable if it's low quality cable (The 500gb or 160gb)

Yeah maybe I'll do the claim

rdc85

Honorable
If i were u i would not want a "burn able" cable inside my rig, it's a time bomb..

if u can feel the cable is hot then the insulation is not adequate/or it not designed to delivered high power, it could start a fire if it unattended

U will need to replace it right away those low quality cable/psu...

I once had low quality power cable that exploded literary.. bring down the apartment power, and give me a shock/surprise that I could get a heart attack

edit: if u get those message there a big chance the mobo and other device is still fine...

btw hdd could get heated up, 30-40c is normal at notebook or bad case it could get to 50c....