Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

P8P67 Pro Can't Access BIOS setup - HELP!!! (Bad motherboard?)

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 8, 2011 5:30:46 AM

Pleas note - I posted this same question on the ASUS' support forum, but I think I stand a better chance of getting some ideas here.

--------------------------------------

I think I may have a defective motherboard, but I'd like any possible suggestions before I send it back for replacement.

I'm building a new PC using a P8P67 PRO with the Rev 3.0 B3 Revision. Whenever I try to boot I get to the ASUS Motherboard logo screen where it says "Please press DEL to enter the EFI BIOS setting" but I can never get past this, and I can't load an OS.

Currently my motherboard is sitting on top of a cardboard box so I'm sure there is no danger of anything being shorted out.

I'm installed a Core I7-2600k CPU. I have two sets of G.SKILL 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 (PC3-12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBL memory (total of four sticks of 4 gb memory) - I've tried every possible combination; the DRAM LED blinks during boot but never stays on long, and I've also tried holding down the MemOK! button during boot but that doesn't change anything.

Video is an EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE Video Card. I don't have any apparent video problems, and the VGA card LED blinks during boot but doesn't stay on.

I've tried attaching various combinations of Crucial RealSSD 128Gb, Hitachi Deskstar 2TB SATA III hard drive, and LG BluRay burner (and tried no SATA device at all, too); the HDD LED always comes on and stays on.

I've tried both a PS2 keyboard and a USB keyboard, and I'm using a USB mouse. The keyboard is always checked at boot (the three lights flash) but I can never get into the BIOS screen.

I've tried clearing the RTC RAM, both with the battery in and battery out; that hasn't changed anything. As mentioned above I've also tried booting while hlding down the MemOK! button but that hasn't helped.

If I'm going to RMA this to Newegg I have to do it in a few days, but I'm hoping someone has some ideas.

More about : p8p67 pro access bios setup bad motherboard

May 8, 2011 5:53:52 PM

It freezes on the logo screen?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2011 6:09:17 PM

Try with one stick of RAM.
m
l
May 8, 2011 6:36:20 PM

mosox said:
Try with one stick of RAM.

I tried that, with each of the four sticks of ram, trying each stick in all four sockets (all 16 combinations.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 8, 2011 6:54:49 PM

Then full breadboard: no USB headers, 1 stick, OEM HSF, no SATA connections, Clear CMOS - jumper. If that fails then RMA MOBO. I assume the 8 and 24 pin power is connected and PCIe power to GPU.

Having 4 bad sticks is nearly impossible. Shorts and other oddball things are common causes to post failures.
m
l
May 8, 2011 7:35:48 PM

Yup, heat sink is OEM. I've done exactly what you suggested, getting no usb mouse, no SATA devices, and cleared the CMOS both with the battery in and out. Yup, the 8 and 24 pin power are connected and the video card has power.

Thanks for confirming what I thought - it's funny that this kind of problem would get past a quality control test.

I should feel lucky, after building dozens of systems this is only the second bad motherboard that I've encountered.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 8, 2011 7:46:39 PM

Also there have been a rash of bad Pro & Deluxe MOBOs.

If the RAM is the following there have been a lot of bad sets floating around, and the ones that indeed work only work when combined at 1333 MHz and not the rated 1600 MHz speed.
G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 )
m
l
May 8, 2011 9:58:51 PM

jaquith said:
Also there have been a rash of bad Pro & Deluxe MOBOs.

If the RAM is the following there have been a lot of bad sets floating around, and the ones that indeed work only work when combined at 1333 MHz and not the rated 1600 MHz speed.
G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 )

These are the F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (not the 8GBXL), but in any event how would I modify the memory speed if I can't get into the BIOS settings?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2011 10:21:25 PM

All those Asus boards are a problem.

Google "P8P67 problems" you'll find thousands of people with the same problem as you.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 9, 2011 1:32:20 AM

madcityguy said:
These are the F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (not the 8GBXL), but in any event how would I modify the memory speed if I can't get into the BIOS settings?

I wasn't suggesting that you 'could' -- I was alerting you to potentially a 'second' problem; MOBO AND RAM :??: 
m
l
July 9, 2012 7:17:01 AM

madcityguy said:
Pleas note - I posted this same question on the ASUS' support forum, but I think I stand a better chance of getting some ideas here.

--------------------------------------

I think I may have a defective motherboard, but I'd like any possible suggestions before I send it back for replacement.

I'm building a new PC using a P8P67 PRO with the Rev 3.0 B3 Revision. Whenever I try to boot I get to the ASUS Motherboard logo screen where it says "Please press DEL to enter the EFI BIOS setting" but I can never get past this, and I can't load an OS.

Currently my motherboard is sitting on top of a cardboard box so I'm sure there is no danger of anything being shorted out.

I'm installed a Core I7-2600k CPU. I have two sets of G.SKILL 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 (PC3-12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBL memory (total of four sticks of 4 gb memory) - I've tried every possible combination; the DRAM LED blinks during boot but never stays on long, and I've also tried holding down the MemOK! button during boot but that doesn't change anything.

Video is an EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE Video Card. I don't have any apparent video problems, and the VGA card LED blinks during boot but doesn't stay on.

I've tried attaching various combinations of Crucial RealSSD 128Gb, Hitachi Deskstar 2TB SATA III hard drive, and LG BluRay burner (and tried no SATA device at all, too); the HDD LED always comes on and stays on.

I've tried both a PS2 keyboard and a USB keyboard, and I'm using a USB mouse. The keyboard is always checked at boot (the three lights flash) but I can never get into the BIOS screen.

I've tried clearing the RTC RAM, both with the battery in and battery out; that hasn't changed anything. As mentioned above I've also tried booting while hlding down the MemOK! button but that hasn't helped.

If I'm going to RMA this to Newegg I have to do it in a few days, but I'm hoping someone has some ideas.

Hi there. Im new and I don't know what to do but please tell me did you solve your problem? I have exactly the same failure you have <please press DEL to enter EFI setting> and get frozen. I've been looking for, but haven't find someone who's already solve it. My mobo is a P8P67. Please tell me if you fix it :( 
m
l
July 16, 2012 12:07:54 AM

seth125 said:
Hi there. Im new and I don't know what to do but please tell me did you solve your problem? I have exactly the same failure you have <please press DEL to enter EFI setting> and get frozen. I've been looking for, but haven't find someone who's already solve it. My mobo is a P8P67. Please tell me if you fix it :( 

As I feared it turned out to be a defective motherboard. I ended up returning it and getting an exact replacement - the replacement worked perfectly.
m
l