Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replacing a 32 MB cache HDD with a 16 MB cache HDD

Last response: in Storage
October 3, 2012 5:19:02 AM

My current HDD (WD 500 GB Caviar Black, 7200 RMP, 32 MB cache) is about 3 years old and has become quite noisy in the past several months. I'm concerned the noise may mean the HDD is failing, so I would like to replace it.

I am looking at a WDD 500 Caviar Blue, 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache HDD. Will the reduced HDD cache size noticeably affect performance? I mainly use my computer for web surfing and watching videos (online and offline).

Best solution

a c 129 G Storage
October 3, 2012 6:52:53 AM

Toms Hardware Rules said:
My current HDD (WD 500 GB Caviar Black, 7200 RMP, 32 MB cache) is about 3 years old and has become quite noisy in the past several months. I'm concerned the noise may mean the HDD is failing, so I would like to replace it.

I am looking at a WDD 500 Caviar Blue, 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache HDD. Will the reduced HDD cache size noticeably affect performance? I mainly use my computer for web surfing and watching videos (online and offline).

at the drive rmp is the same you want to look at the seak time and read/write times of both drives. on a hard drive the cache would help if your doing large photoshop or video editing. on booting and working with work and reg files it the seek time in ms and the drive rpm speed that will make it slower from one drive to another.
!