Sign in with
Your question

SAS to SATA

Last response: in Storage
October 3, 2012 8:37:57 AM

Hi. I have a MAX3147RC Fujitsu SAS Hard Disk and i want to know if i can use it in my PC. I have seen some cables,
7 Pin SATA Serial ATA to SAS 29 Pin, but i don`t think it`s going to be that easy. Is it? Any help is apreciated. If you need my PC`s configuration, let me know. Thanks.

More about : sas sata

a c 87 G Storage
October 3, 2012 11:22:50 AM

You are right! Only a SATA disk on a SAS controller will work, but not the other way round. You will need a SAS controller. Or sell the disk on ebay and get a SSD for the money. :) 
October 3, 2012 11:27:33 AM

Yes, i`ll probably sell the SAS Hard Disk and get something that doesn`t require that much mod. Thanks.
Related resources
a c 87 G Storage
October 3, 2012 12:07:30 PM

andrei_82 said:
Yes, i`ll probably sell the SAS Hard Disk and get something that doesn`t require that much mod. Thanks.

And just to mention: the mod would include a noise reduction case for the disk. A 15k disk out of a server room is horrible! :) 
October 3, 2012 12:22:25 PM

noidea_77 said:
And just to mention: the mod would include a noise reduction case for the disk. A 15k disk out of a server room is horrible! :) 

I was just reading about that. Totally not worth the hassle. Thanks again. Do you know how much these go for? I`ve seen some on ebay but it doesn`t look like they have too many takers.
a c 87 G Storage
October 3, 2012 1:00:19 PM

Well, there a obviously only a few idiots like me, how have a server with SAS disks under the couch. Professionals don't go for used disks, cause the admin time to fix a crash costs way more then a new disk.
!