Is my PSU underperforming?

Serejai

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I have been having really horrible framerate issues with Aion (although every other game runs fine). While talking with tech support, they informed me that my PSU voltages were "extremely and dangerously low in some areas". I don't know much at all about power supplies, as I've never had any issues with them. I was hoping somebody here could verify that I have an issue.

I have a Corsair TX650w PSU, Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, and an XFX 5870. I can't really believe there's a power issue because all of my other games run flawlessly, and I would think if my GPU wasn't getting enough power it would be an issue everywhere, and not just one single game.

However, the numbers do look wrong to me from what I've googled about voltages.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9168/volts.png

Any help?

see if the voltages are the same in the bios reading (if you have one) or another program (such as HWmonitor). Because they are extremely low. I do suspect the software not properly being able to detect it, since your system works fine.

If there is something wrong with the power supply, your system would be shutting down during Aion. What are your resolution and settings?

I suppose you could also check to see if you GPU is throttling during that game, or even your CPU. check your CPU temps during the game and check the core and memory speed of the GPU in CCC during the game also.

You could also measure the voltage of the power supply with a volt meter if you have one available. That will be accurate. I unfortunately have never done this so I am unsure of where you could put the leads to measure.

What is the rest of your system and do you have anything overclocked?

Serejai

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

I'm running a Phenom II x6 1090T and 4GB 1600MHz RAM @1280x1024. I run Aion on max, but the issues I'm having with it are that if I'm on max settings, or lowest settings, my FPS is the exact same. Basically I'm running ~120 FPS when I'm by myself leveling, but as soon as I get 2-3 other players on my screen my FPS drops down to <30. Again, even on lowest settings this happens (I got higher FPS on low with my integrated 2100HD than I do with my 5870 on low).

All other games run fine. My GPU and CPU both run at correct settings during gameplay, and my temps are well under the danger level. I honestly think it's just a case of either NCSoft or ATI doing a really poor job with the coding of the game/drivers, as I've seen people with 4xxx cards getting twice the framerates I get. Nevertheless, the NCSoft techs pointed out my voltages, so I thought it was worth looking in to.

As for overclocking, I usually run at 4.1Ghz for the CPU, and 932/1288 for the GPU. My RAM is set to 9-9-9-25 right now because the tech thought that may be an issue too, but I usually run it at 7-7-7-24. No issues at all with overclocks, but they also don't increase my FPS in Aion at all, either. Not even a single frame.

Will check the BIOS and post back here in a few minutes, but I recall the voltages being the same in there last time I checked.

Are you talking about online gaming.? Because in that case, your bandwidth may be limiting you.. The Corsair TX 650 is competent enough to handle your rig with all those overclocks in place.. Moreover, other games running fine should be an indication enough for you that your system along with all components (including PSU) is running fine.. You can do a test by disabling or reducing the overclock done on your CPU and then running the game.. It might sound strange but certain programs tend to under perform with an overclocked CPU..

Serejai

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

It's an online game, but bandwidth has no effect at all on my framerates. It also doesn't change the fact that my PSU voltages are apparently low. I'll let the NCSoft techs try to figure out why the game is running so poorly. What I need to figure out here is why my voltages seem to be low, even though my computer appears to run fine outside of that one game.

Just because my computer runs fine now doesn't mean that it always will. I'm worried those low voltages may cause issues down the road, and I need to know this before my RMA period runs out in case I need to exchange it.

The low voltage's were recorded by software.
Software does not give accurate voltage readings.
-5v was optional for years, has been removed from the ATX spec and your power supply doesn't have it.
-12v is rarely used and often gives wildly fluctuating results with software voltage readers.
+12v, if it were really that low the system would not have started and you wouldn't be able to get a ss of Speedfan voltage readings.

If you want to know the psu voltages get yourself a DMM and check for real.
http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_6.html

PS; avoid techs who tell you that your voltages are low based on a Speedfan screenshot

+1000
SpeedFan is notoriously bad for reading voltages in fact I never seen it read the correct voltage and any tech with half a brain knows that you can not test voltages via software accurately enough to determine if voltages are even a problem. Only real way to test is to open the case up and start probeing with a digital multimeter but be very careful while doing anything in an open case while system is on.