Sata 2 - ICH10R vs GIGABYTE controller. Help.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hello my mobo is a GB-X58A-UD5 rev 1.0 and it has 8 sata 2 ports. 6 of them are ICH10R Sata 2 controller and the other 2 are GIGABYTE Sata 2 controller.

I have no idea what controller is the best. Can someone explain their purpose and what to look for in a controller so I know how to pick a good mobo when I buy a new PC in the future. Thanks in advance.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Your ports are 2xSata3 6Gb/s and 6xSata2 3Gb/s.

These are your Mobo specs according to Gigabyte:
South Bridge:
1.6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
2.Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
Marvell 9128 chip:
1.2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
2.Support for SATA RAID 0, and RAID 1

That was on their site...

on your mb the 6g sata spec had just came out that why you have a 3 party sata chipset on your mb. intel newest chipset now have the 6g sata built into there chipset. most 3 party sata chipset on newer mb are used for people doing raid or need lot of drives in there pc.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Halfway there... My mobo booklet (page 30) says the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are Sata 3.0 gb/s on a ICH10R controller. Note: Page 10 under the summary titled Storage Interface calls it South Bridge. So I am guessing ICH10R is another name for south bridge or something.

The marvell controller is the only Sata 6gb/s, slot 6 and 7, they are both currently used. Lot 6 is my SSD and slot 7 is my HDD.

Then slot 8 and 9 is Gigabyte Sata 2 chip... The mobo book says on page 10 that it supports...
- 1x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
- 2x Sata 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9) supporting up to 2 SATA 3GB/s devices
- Support for SATA RAID 0, 1 and JBOD.

Note: the Sata 6GB/s on the marvell controller are also GSATA (GSATA3_6. GSATA3_7)... The ICH10R are just SATA2.

So, I am simply wondering if I should connect my 3rd backup drive to slot GSATA2_8 (gigabyte sata 2 controller) or SATA2_0 on the South Bridge (aka ICH10R) storage interface.

Also worth noting that I run Windows 7 64bit and plan to run all my storage drives in AHCI mode not IDE. Apart from three Storage drives I also have 1x DVD Burner that is an IDE drive. With that in mind should I make the BIOS for south bridge IDE and use my DVD burner there. Then use my 3rd backup drive in GSATA2_8 with AHCI mode. Or the other way around.

PS: I don't know the difference with GSATA2 and SATA2.

irlwizard

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Going to note some BIOS settings from the 'Integrated Peripherals' subheading that I don't understand while I am at it.

Q1
ICH Sata Controller Mode - IDE, RAID (XHD), AHCI
According to my BLOCK DIAGRAM. GSATA2 is connected like this...
GSATA --> PCI Express Bus --> Intel ICH10R ---> Intel X58.
So if I have this set to IDE for say, DVD Burning can the GSATA still function as AHCI since it would have to pass through the IDE set ICH controller?

Note: The Sata 6Gb/s don't pass the ICH. Just...
2SATA 6GB/s --> PCI Express Bus --> Intel X58

The ICH10R Sata go...
6 Sata 3GB/s --> Intel ICH10R --> Intel X58 (no PCI Express Bus).

Q2
Sata Port 0-3 Native Mode - Enable, Disable.
When Enabled, Native IDE mode. When Disabled, Legacy IDE mode.
What is the difference between Native and Legacy mode? And why do I have this option if my ICH Sata Controller Mode is set to AHCI?

Q3
SATA 3 Firmware Selection - Onboard, Auto, Force. Don't understand what this does or what to set it as.
SATA 3 Raid mode Controller - IDE, RAID, Auto. Why is this option coming up when I don't want to run raid and why can't I disable it? Since I am forced to select something , what should it be. I don't want my nonRAID Sata3 drives to be IDE mode but there is no option for AHCI here.

Q4
GSATA Ctrl Mode - IDE, AHCI
GSATA IDE Ctrl Mode - IDE. AHCI or RAID/IDE.
Why do I have two Ctrl mode options for the GSATA? Is it even possible to select AHCI on the first and IDE on the second.

Q5
eSata Ctr Mode - IDE, AHCI, RAID (eSata is portable harddrives right? Should it be set to IDE or AHCI?).

Q6
Onboard H/W 1394 (what is that. onboard network card perhaps)?

Edit: Edited Question 1-6 for easier answering and if you can only answer e.g. Q2 you can do that and leave the rest out.