External USB 3.0 Enclosure causing Wireless speakers to disconnect!!!

djfatrod

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hoping someone can answer this one for me...or even a wild theory will do...

I have a media center with sound output to a sony DAVDZ870W 5.1 home theatre unit, with wireless rear speakers, via Optical.

The media center has a Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H motherboard, and a Hotway Probox hf2-su3s2 external enclosure with 3 hdds in it.

Now for the problem...

When the external enclosure is connected via USB 3.0, the DAVDZ870W will lose its connection to it's rear speaker.

The drive can be connected but as soon as it is turned on, the home theater speaker will lose their wireless connection to the amp.

If I connect the external enclosure to a USB 2.0 port, the wireless speakers will work fine...

For some bizarre reason, an external enclosure plugged into my HTPC via USB 3.0 is causing my AMP to lose its wireless connection to its rear speakers.

WTF!?!?!

Just to clarify, the external enclosure and the home theater unit have no direct connection. The HTPC outputs to the home theatre unit via optical, and the external HDD enclosure plugs into to the HTPC via USB.

My only theory is that the USB 3.0 controller must be causing some sort of interference affecting the amp...but why on earth would it do that!?

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
It may be a bandwidth conflict, depending on if your board implements your sound card and your 3.0 slot on the same bus. I remember similar issues back in the day with 2.0 when it was enabled on the motherboard as an internal hub instead of dedicated channels. Conflicts would occur with high bandwidth devices being enabled and competing with each other. Hope this helps. ^^

djfatrod

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

Thats not a bad theory. Although the front speakers (which are wired) are still working, and I would have thought there would be no sound at all if it was a bandwidth issue.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

Not necessarily. Device conflicts can take strange forms. I've seen instances where some devices only play intermittently together or force some sort of default profile with reduced functionality. I usually try to narrow it down by turning off hardware in BIOS until I can figure out what is conflicting and why.