Sign in with
Your question

Decisions to make about my system: q6600

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2010 4:36:05 PM

So I had recently put up a post about my RAM difficulties here, and now am thinking of low cost ways of improving my system.

My current build:

Intel C2Q Q6600 running currently stock 2.4 w/ stock cooler
P5N-E SLI
4x2g OCZ2N800SR4GK Ram DDR2-800 underclocked to 700mhz(see above link on why)
BFG GTX 275OC
Corsair tx650
Antec Nine Hundred Case
Win 7 64bit

So with my ram inconstancies with all 4 dimms (again see above link) I've been thinking of pulling one and running the 6g stable at 800mhz, but of course I'd be loosing dual channel, but....

Then my theory is that I can start seriously consider pushing the processor to an OC of around 3ghz+. I'd be then looking at a new cpu cooler, along throwing a heatsink and fan on the SB + a fan on the NB, as suggested with this board.

Any thoughts? Suggestions with cpu coolers?

Been looking at:

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283

Cooler Master Hyper TX3

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2010 6:09:39 PM

Before you start overclocking, you need to get your system stable.

Next, you can probably run at 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler and little or no CPU voltage increase.

I have a couple of Xig Dark Knights - good cooler, great value.

Overclocking:
Our generic Core2 thread:
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

If you cannot find anything useful, look for a 680i overclocking article. The 700 nVidia chipset is just a 600 chipset that has been modified to be compatible with the Yorkfield quads.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. At an FSB frequency of 266 MHz (FSB clock of 1066 MHz), your memory clock should be at 533 MHz. Leave your memory clock linked to the bus clock.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Now start increasing the FSB and core voltage. Do not exceed 1.5 volts or load temps of 70 C.

With better cooling, you should be able to reach at least 3.3 GHz.
m
l
July 24, 2010 6:11:21 PM

if you will be overclocking i recommend the noctua nh d14

its a bit pricey but its an amazing cooler
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2010 4:48:38 AM

So you guys agree that pulling a stick, and just running 6g @ 800mhz single channel is the way to go before starting the OC process?

Oh I was browsing around and looking at Zaward ZCJ013 120mm Long life Duro CPU Cooler

I saw it was one of the top cooling CPUs around at frostytech.
m
l
!