nochancemrp

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Casual gamer here, I tried to keep it around $1000. Would have worked, but my LCD monitor is ancient... Like when the BFG 7800GTX was godly. Anyways my gaming can be summed up as "hey this game looks cool, I'll try it." Not neglect my fiance, curse at people who ring the doorbell, lock my self in a room and live on Doritos coming out for a bio break once every 8 hours. I've put World of Warcraft behind me. :kaola:

Main interests are Crysis 1,2 (don't care if it's not maxed), Left 4 Dead, Dragon Age series, StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Mafia 2, Rage, BFBC2, RTS games, any new appealing MMO.

I figured my setup should keep me satisfied for years of "casual" gaming without being anal retentive.

Phenom X4 965 BE
XFX 5850
MSI 870A G54
4 GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws
WD 1TB 7200RPM Sata 6
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner (have PS3 for BR)
Antec Illusion case
ASUS VH236H Black 23" monitor
G15? and G5? Keyboard and mouse, owned.

Now there's 3 small problems.

1. I have the Verizon Fios router in my living room. So I need a good wireless adapter.
2. I have my old Logitech speakers, which still sound great IMO. I think it's 3 speakers and the sub. No need for me to upgrade here. BUT, is onboard sound still terrible? If not I was thinking I could get away with a Xonar DS. Gamer audio cards are great, but I'm not using surround sound.
3. How much power will this require? 550w enough? I'm pretty sure that's my old Antec PSU.

Grand total is $1160 shipped.

I think most around here would suggest the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD over the WD.

550W is should do fine for a single HD 5850 and the rest of your parts. What model of Antec are you using?

It's a good idea I think to give the onboard sound a shot and evaluate how well it sounds to you. Not up to your expectations? Then consider a discrete sound card.

nochancemrp

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

It's True Power... must have said ultra quiet or something on the box. I remember I wanted it as silent as possible.

A bit better overall performance in the HDDs. And yes... the 500GB single platter Seagate 7200.12 or Samsung Spinpoint F3 would also be good choices. WD is just a bit behind in performance at the moment. SATA 6GB/s sound juicy but HDDs aren't yet at the point where they saturate 3GB/s bandwidth.

nochancemrp

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
The card is $50 off today! So far I'm making some minor changes, and have managed to drop the price about $80, and receive about $40 in rebates.

Quick question though...

Is a 500w PSU enough? I was going to get a combo and save some more money, plus a lot of the PSU's have rebates.

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
for just a "casual gamer" thats one hella nice rig. :) very good build.. you should of never doubted yourself.. only thing i would do is beef up that power supply a little.. better safe than sorry..