Cingular 1 phone 2 numbers

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 4, 2005 5:24:31 PM

Spoke with a tier-1 Cingular service person, who tells me that I cannot have
two phone numbers ringing to the same phone. Since I had a cell phone with
multiple numbers back in the 80's and I've had 2 number Nextels too.

I find it hard to believe that Cingular cannot support this in 2005.
Anyone successfully get Cingular to support this?

Thanks.

More about : cingular phone numbers

April 5, 2005 12:06:07 AM

Joel <jfedorko wrote:
> Spoke with a tier-1 Cingular service person, who tells me that I cannot have
> two phone numbers ringing to the same phone. Since I had a cell phone with
> multiple numbers back in the 80's and I've had 2 number Nextels too.
>
> I find it hard to believe that Cingular cannot support this in 2005.
> Anyone successfully get Cingular to support this?
>
> Thanks.

Why would Cingular support it? Nobody else does.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

In article <1153p3trobhgb95@corp.supernews.com>,
Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

> Joel <jfedorko wrote:
> > Spoke with a tier-1 Cingular service person, who tells me that I cannot have
> > two phone numbers ringing to the same phone. Since I had a cell phone with
> > multiple numbers back in the 80's and I've had 2 number Nextels too.
> >
> > I find it hard to believe that Cingular cannot support this in 2005.
> > Anyone successfully get Cingular to support this?
> >
> > Thanks.
>

> Why would Cingular support it? Nobody else does.

Try reading the original post.
April 5, 2005 5:51:52 AM

> > Why would Cingular support it? Nobody else does.
> Try reading the original post.

Cell back in the 80's is a bit different than what's going on today.

As for answering two lines, just call forward the one to the other. Call
waiting on the receiving phone should work. You just won't be able to 'dial
out' on the other number. I suspect this is what the old phone did.

So sign up another phone on the same service; perhaps with some family plan
scheme, and simply call forward it to the other phone.
April 5, 2005 5:51:52 AM

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <1153p3trobhgb95@corp.supernews.com>,
> Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>

>>Joel <jfedorko wrote:
>>
>>>Spoke with a tier-1 Cingular service person, who tells me that I cannot have
>>>two phone numbers ringing to the same phone. Since I had a cell phone with
>>>multiple numbers back in the 80's and I've had 2 number Nextels too.
>>>
>>> I find it hard to believe that Cingular cannot support this in 2005.
>>> Anyone successfully get Cingular to support this?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>

>>Why would Cingular support it? Nobody else does.
>

> Try reading the original post.

Okay... is he saying he's had a handset that had two different numbers
programmed into it (two NAMs)? or having a handset that will actually
ring simultaneously from two separate incoming calls, each to a
different number?

He used the word 'ringing' so I presumed the latter.

If the former... a handset with more than one programmed NAM will still
only allow one NAM or the other to be active at any given time. And
given the nature of SIM cards, I'm unaware of any SIM capable of
supporting more than one number.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

<snip>

> >>Why would Cingular support it? Nobody else does.
> >

> > Try reading the original post.
>

> Okay... is he saying he's had a handset that had two different numbers
> programmed into it (two NAMs)? or having a handset that will actually
> ring simultaneously from two separate incoming calls, each to a
> different number?
>
> He used the word 'ringing' so I presumed the latter.
>
> If the former... a handset with more than one programmed NAM will still
> only allow one NAM or the other to be active at any given time. And
> given the nature of SIM cards, I'm unaware of any SIM capable of
> supporting more than one number.
<snip>
They sell such a sim but only one active at a time, you switch with a key
stroke.
http://www.gsm-technology.com/index.php/en_US,details,i...

With national plans and free/low cost roaming dual number support was
dropped, don't think it's comming back. Maybe the OP could tell us the
reason he wants two numbers and another solution can be found.
April 5, 2005 5:51:54 AM

Stanley Reynolds wrote:
> <snip>

> have

> with

>>>Try reading the original post.
>>

>>Okay... is he saying he's had a handset that had two different numbers
>>programmed into it (two NAMs)? or having a handset that will actually
>>ring simultaneously from two separate incoming calls, each to a
>>different number?
>>
>>He used the word 'ringing' so I presumed the latter.
>>
>>If the former... a handset with more than one programmed NAM will still
>>only allow one NAM or the other to be active at any given time. And
>>given the nature of SIM cards, I'm unaware of any SIM capable of
>>supporting more than one number.
>
> <snip>
> They sell such a sim but only one active at a time, you switch with a key
> stroke.
> http://www.gsm-technology.com/index.php/en_US,details,i...
>
> With national plans and free/low cost roaming dual number support was
> dropped, don't think it's comming back. Maybe the OP could tell us the
> reason he wants two numbers and another solution can be found.

Well ah'll beee! I ain't never seen nuttin lack dat!!

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

FWIW, my SE Z500a owner's manual discusses having two voice lines on p35:

"If you have a subscription that supports alternate line service, your phone
may have two voice lines with different phone numbers.

"... You select which line you want to use for outgoing calls. All outgoing
calls are made on this line until you change it. Incoming calls can still
be received on either line.

"You can change the names of the lines, and have different settings for each
line, for example, different ringtones."

Sounds like it is just a matter of persuading Cingular to provide it.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:41:11 PM

In article <mhq4e.828$yq6.322@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
jamooney44@earthlink.net says...
> FWIW, my SE Z500a owner's manual discusses having two voice lines on p35:
>
> "If you have a subscription that supports alternate line service, your phone
> may have two voice lines with different phone numbers.
>
> "... You select which line you want to use for outgoing calls. All outgoing
> calls are made on this line until you change it. Incoming calls can still
> be received on either line.
>
> "You can change the names of the lines, and have different settings for each
> line, for example, different ringtones."
>
> Sounds like it is just a matter of persuading Cingular to provide it.

There were some reports here about a year ago of a small GSM carrier
(maybe Canada?--I'm not going to google now) who was supporting ALS so
apparently it's not a big deal to turn on. I seem to remember he/she
said there were some problems with voicemail--probably just bugs with so
little use.

I for one would love to have a personal number and a business number,
each with it's own VM and forwarding options - I could do away with my
one-number service. And for those saying just forward one NAM to
another - it's not the same at all. With ALS you a) could tell which
line was ringing, b) could send each line to separate voicemail, and c)
make calls on the correct line so that business contacts got your
business CID and personal contacts got your personal CID (my biggest
headache with a ONS).
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

I know that there is atleast one phone from Nextel that will support
multiple numbers...i think it was a moto 730...but i could be mistaken
on the model...it was a while ago the customer had come in my
store...it even let you have different ringers depending on which phone
number was being called. I believe the phone did use two seperate sim
cards though...but it definitely is possible to have two phone numbers
on one phone.

At the moment, however, Cingular does not have any phones that support
this, nor does ATT, and i'm pretty sure t-mobile doesn't either. that
nextel phone i saw was the only one i've ever seen in person that could
do it. it surprised me at first...but it would come in handy for me as
i have a business and personal cingular line. But when i dont wanna
carry around two phones i make use of our call forward feature...and it
works great. even forwards my text messages!

--
FLyGTi
April 6, 2005 5:31:08 AM

FLyGTi wrote:

> (snip)
>
> At the moment, however, Cingular does not have any phones that support
> this, nor does ATT, and i'm pretty sure t-mobile doesn't either.

The Sony Ericcson Z500a is a Cingular phone (that's where I bought them) and
does support it.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:31:09 AM

John A. Mooney Wrote:
> FLyGTi wrote:
>

> > (snip)
> >
> > At the moment, however, Cingular does not have any phones that
> support
> > this, nor does ATT, and i'm pretty sure t-mobile doesn't either.
>
> The Sony Ericcson Z500a is a Cingular phone (that's where I bought
> them) and
> does support it.

What are you talking about? I work for Cingular....I OWN a
Z500a....and I definitely CANNOT have two phone numbers on this phone
at one time.

If you can do this...could you please enlighten me?

--
FLyGTi
April 6, 2005 11:43:31 AM

Read page 35 of your owner's manual. The phone is capable of it.

FLyGTi wrote:

> John A. Mooney Wrote:
>> FLyGTi wrote:
>>

>> > (snip)
>> >
>> > At the moment, however, Cingular does not have any phones that
>> support
>> > this, nor does ATT, and i'm pretty sure t-mobile doesn't either.
>>
>> The Sony Ericcson Z500a is a Cingular phone (that's where I bought
>> them) and
>> does support it.
>

> What are you talking about? I work for Cingular....I OWN a
> Z500a....and I definitely CANNOT have two phone numbers on this phone
> at one time.
>
> If you can do this...could you please enlighten me?

April 6, 2005 8:53:32 PM

As far as the old handheld goes, it was a 8000 series (don't remember the
model anymore) which was part of a Motorola UMTS. When it was mated to the
truck one could actually be on the cell, put someone on hold and answer a
vhf call and switch between the two at will. The 8000 had 2 numbers, the
VHF component 1 number, could send data at ripping 2400baud on a good day,
more like 300 most of the time. As far as the 2 number nextel goes I don't
remember the models, they're in a box somewhere.

Nextel does offer the service....
http://www.nextel.com/services/digitalcellular/alternat...
and the Motorola v3 manual leads me to believe it's capable, but I haven't
had a chance to handle one.

The reason I want two numbers on one phone is to dump a $30+ /month verizon
line that I get work calls on, keep the "verizon" number and my current cell
number.

Looks like I'll have to do some sort of call forwarding deal if I stick with
Cingular.

I'm trying to skip the Batman utility belt look with gobs' o phones.
April 11, 2005 6:33:14 PM

Why not transfer the number to Vonage, and set up call forwarding from
there?

"Joel" <jfedorko<remove>@rangersys.com> wrote:

>As far as the old handheld goes, it was a 8000 series (don't remember the
>model anymore) which was part of a Motorola UMTS. When it was mated to the
>truck one could actually be on the cell, put someone on hold and answer a
>vhf call and switch between the two at will. The 8000 had 2 numbers, the
>VHF component 1 number, could send data at ripping 2400baud on a good day,
>more like 300 most of the time. As far as the 2 number nextel goes I don't
>remember the models, they're in a box somewhere.
>
>Nextel does offer the service....
>http://www.nextel.com/services/digitalcellular/alternat...
>and the Motorola v3 manual leads me to believe it's capable, but I haven't
>had a chance to handle one.
>
>The reason I want two numbers on one phone is to dump a $30+ /month verizon
>line that I get work calls on, keep the "verizon" number and my current cell
>number.
>
>Looks like I'll have to do some sort of call forwarding deal if I stick with
>Cingular.
>
>I'm trying to skip the Batman utility belt look with gobs' o phones.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:54:05 PM

Jud Hardcastle wrote:

> And for those saying just forward one NAM to
> another - it's not the same at all. > --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA

Not to mention, you get charged for the call on both lines. Airtime on
one phone. Forwarded minutes on the original line. At least that's how
AT&T explained it to me.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:55:34 PM

Joel

Does GSM support this? Absolutely. T-mobile has this service a while
back but dropped it.

Will the GSM carriers sell it? probably not unless you are a bit enough
customer

Chip

Joel <jfedorko wrote:
> Spoke with a tier-1 Cingular service person, who tells me that I cannot have
> two phone numbers ringing to the same phone. Since I had a cell phone with
> multiple numbers back in the 80's and I've had 2 number Nextels too.
>
> I find it hard to believe that Cingular cannot support this in 2005.
> Anyone successfully get Cingular to support this?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:02:02 AM

Any of the Nextel phones from the i1000+ to any the current line up
will support what you are looking for, I've sold ATT, Nextel, Cingular,
TMobile since 1999. Nextel is the ONLY wireless company that is doing
what you are looking for. Yes ATT TDMA service did allow you to have
to NAM's active on 1 phone and I've done that for some customers but
they no longer exist and Cingular no longer supports TDMA technology.
So if this is the selling point for you then you will need to go to
Nextel. Chose a base voice plan then add the Alternative Line of
Service (ALS) starting at $5 per month for the ALS. This will allow
you 2 seperate VM and Calling from either number. However only 1
number will ring at a time. If you have your phone set to line 1 and
someone calls to line 2 it will go right to VM and vice versa.

!