BIOs flashing, and when to do it?

Hey guys.

This is my first post here and my first time building a computer.

I bought the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402
and to go along with that I got the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Now the only question I have no is updating the BIOs, I did some research and some people seem to be able to run all 6 cores out of the box, and others have to update the BIOs to the latest ( 2102 ).

In a forum I saw someone mention to flash the BIOs before installing the CPU?

Do you have to do it that way? or you can you flash the BIOs wit the CPU already installed?

The way I had planned to do it is if it didn't recognize all 6 cores I was just gonna DL the update, go through all the steps the mobo's manual gives me to update and flash it that way, all with my 6 core processor already installed.

Tips?

Thanks. :p
4 answers Last reply
More about bios flashing
  1. You should be able to flash the BIOS even if the CPU isn't recognized as a six-core right away.
  2. so you can flash/update the BIOs to make it compatible with the 6 core (If it isn't already compatible) while you have the CPU installed?

The way the other guy worded it made it sound like you have to flash/update while the CPU is not in the mobo.
  3. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try it. It may partially recognize the CPU, enough to boot up and flash the BIOS anyway. If it doesn't recognize the CPU at all, it won't boot up at all so you won't be able to flash the BIOS or do anything.

The only alternative is to purchase a four-core CPU or borrow one from a friend, install it, flash the BIOS, and then install the six-core. If you purchase a four-core just for this, you'll have to pay a restocking fee when you return it (they'll take it out of your refund).
  4. The system must be able to boot before you can flash a BIOS.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards BIOS AMD Product