DVI to HDMI

redwing3139

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hello

I am wondering if some one can just clarify something from me. I am looking to hook my comp directly to my LED TV and I am wondering if I use a HDMI to DVI cable with this still provide audio through the TV? My video card is HD 4850 1GB DDR3 DUAL DVI TV PCI-E.

Thank You

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

Yes. You will have to change your sound device to HDMI output. If this doesn't work (though it should, since ATI cards don't require an SPDIF connection to your motherboard to route the sound through their DVI port), you may need to run a DVI (or DVI-to-VGA converter with a VGA Cable depending on the inputs your TV has) and a separate sound cable. I have successfully run both configurations on my 4870 to several different LCD TVs. Since your 4850 is essentially the same card with lower specs, it should work the same.

As a side note, if when connected to your TV, windows doesn't allow your actual resolutions, you may need to take an extra step. This is common when connecting TVs (as opposed to computer monitors) to a video card.

Control Panel > Resolutions > advanced settings > monitor tab > uncheck "Hide resolutions this monitor can't display"

This will allow you to select the proper resolution for your TV, if it was unavailable before. For example, I have seen many times that windows won't allow 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions for LCD or Plasma TVs, with a maximum of 1600x1200 setting, for example, until that option is unchecked.