anyquist

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
I have been looking for a motherboard that has a TPM module that will enable bitlocker to run. I have searched and read specs for several days but cannot identify which of the current motherboards on the market have tpm modules. I would be most grateful for any replies, thank you.

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I realize that this question is more than half a year old, but I figured I'd respond for anyone else that comes across this post.

At this point, February 2012, the only boards I know of that support TPM are the MSI boards and the Gigabyte boards. In general, TPM support is by way of a socket on the motherboards, in which you can install a TPM module.

Note: There may very well be other manufacturers whose motherboards support TPM. I just don't know of any.

Be aware, however, that (again, I'm only talking in generalities), that the Gigabyte boards use 19-pin TPM modules, and the MSI boards use 13-pin TPM modules. MSI sells TPM modules for their motherboards. Gigabyte does not, at lest not as of this writing.

Also, not all of the boards from these manufacturers support TPM. For example, nears as I can tell, among MSI's X79 chipset boards, the Big Bang-XPowerII and X79A-GD65 (8D) motherboards do not support TPM, but the X79A-GD65 (4D) and both the 4 DIMM and 8 DIMM X79A-GD45 boards do.

In general, assuming the TPM information isn't listed in the specifications (it usually is), then the best way to find out if a board you want supports TPM, is to go to the manufacturer's website for that board, download the manual, and search for "TPM".

Often, however, it's much easier than that, as they will usually (but NOT always), list TPM support in the specs.

Hope this helps!

Edit (8/03/2012): I've recently seen Asus boards showing up with TPM sockets, in addition to the MSI and Gigabyte boards. Like the Gigabyte boards, the Asus boards with TPM sockets seem to support the 19 pin TPM module.