Solved

Monitor won't connect to desktop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 15, 2010 4:00:53 PM

Hello,
I have a dell dimension E521, and at one point when I rebooted my pc the monitor stopped displaying, it still worked, however it won't just display anything as if it wasn't connected. Switched to the HD port *larger connector* using an adapter and it worked for a period of time and that to stopped working. Now that both monitor ports no longer work my best guess is that it now needs to be replaced or does it? I know the monitor works since it connects to my old and outdated pc I keep as a spare.

On specs it says it has two PCI ports, but one is being used to hold a telephone line port and a PCI express which my current video card was connected to *but its black not white which I came to believe it supposed to look like" and power is only 305W max. Recently added 2gb so have a total of 3gb will make it 4gb at a later date. I can't tell what video card it is so I am looking for one that is the same or better then what was currently in it about 75$ or less will probably get it on amazon for a cheaper price. I'm a computer noobie so I don't know much but it runs world of warcraft and all free to play games i've found easily with the original video card I had.

Thank you all in advance.
June 15, 2010 4:12:53 PM

can you hook the monitor to another computer to tell if it died, or another monitor to your computer to check the outputs, if you have a 32 bit OS don't put more than 3G RAM, just a waste of money, windows can't use it, 300W PSU, better think about another PSU before you upgrade the video card
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 15, 2010 4:17:41 PM

I hooked it up to another monitor but it remained the same, monitor goes on like it was just plugged in w/out be hooked up to pc, so I just don't think the card is processing the information into the monitor itself. I'll keep it 3gb's then, thanks for letting me know.

All I am really looking for is something the same power as the card I had so it'll connect to the monitor and actually use it without downgrading from the previous one or original one .
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2010 4:26:12 PM

so what vid card you have now
m
l
June 15, 2010 4:39:00 PM

well going up from there with 300W is easy 8600GT, HD5430 something like that whatever is cheap where you are
m
l

Best solution

June 15, 2010 5:08:42 PM

these are the specs, looking at the 8800gt, it has twice the perormance, and your PSU can deal with it still:
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=8
but this is as highas you dare go, 105W leaves about 200 for the MB, MEM, CD and HD, close but doable
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 15, 2010 5:40:02 PM

Thank you very much for all your help and advice. I'm glad I asked in this forum then anywhere else and would be sure to ask here if I get any other problems or need suggestions.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 15, 2010 5:40:29 PM

Best answer selected by Felinon.
m
l
June 15, 2010 5:55:39 PM

thanks, good luck
m