Sli or ssd?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • SSD
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2010 5:06:11 PM

hi guys, theres 6 months between now and christmas, and 2 upgrades i want for my pc.
so heres my plan, get one upgrade in a few weeks, and get one for christmas.

the problem is, i dont know which part to upgrade first, and which to wait til christmas for.

either an 80gb ssd, or get another gtx 285 for sli.

any sugestions? which would you guys pick?

heres the other spec,
i7 920 @ 3.6
6gb ddrc
850w corsair
500gb hdd

More about : sli ssd

a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 5:24:43 PM

The GTX 285 is a fairly decent graphics card. What resolution do you play games at?

I'm wondering whether either upgrade is really needed. LOL

An SSD will improve load / data swap times.

SLI will improve overall FPS while gaming.

Which is more important to you? That's what I would do first.
June 15, 2010 5:29:45 PM

i play at 1080p, and i like to max out games, but i was just looking for ppls opinions as to which would be the smarter upgrade
Related resources
June 15, 2010 5:50:00 PM

My preference would be the SSD, but part of that has to do with the fact that i dont have any good games to play until next year.
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 6:04:43 PM

For gaming,you'll benefit far more from another card than SSD,because SSD won't give you more FPS in games,(it reduces the load times etc.)
Getting another GTX 285 is a good option,especially that you play on 1080p
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 6:07:48 PM

I'd be more inclined to go for the SSD as the graphic card market could be a whole different picture by Christmas and dual 285's could be superseded by single card costing less which would relegate the existing card to nothing more worthy than a PhysX card at best.
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 6:14:09 PM

Maziar said:
For gaming,you'll benefit far more from another card than SSD,because SSD won't give you more FPS in games,(it reduces the load times etc.)
Getting another GTX 285 is a good option,especially that you play on 1080p

I totally agree with Maziar. As I said before, the SSD just makes load / data swap times faster. Realistically, with a modern video card and RAM in PCs, there's not much data swapping going on. It's all memory resident during game play.

Actual game performance is going to be affected by the SLI setup as opposed to an SSD.

As I see it, the point of an SSD is to load Windows & Office more quickly. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 6:16:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I'd be more inclined to go for the SSD as the graphic card market could be a whole different picture by Christmas and dual 285's could be superseded by single card costing less which would relegate the existing card to nothing more worthy than a PhysX card at best.

This is basically the case any time you update though. LOL Things update so quickly. But yes, right now we're on the edge of change with graphics cards right now. Personally, I can't see spending the money on an SSD though. They're very new tech, and therefore command a price point that I don't find reasonable (it's a personal thing). The overall performance boost isn't really a gaming thing. So to me it's a moot point.
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 6:24:09 PM

jerreece said:
This is basically the case any time you update though. LOL Things update so quickly. But yes, right now we're on the edge of change with graphics cards right now. Personally, I can't see spending the money on an SSD though. They're very new tech, and therefore command a price point that I don't find reasonable (it's a personal thing). The overall performance boost isn't really a gaming thing. So to me it's a moot point.

Fair enough, but if you were set on buying on or the other but finally ending up with both then I think the specs of and price of an SSD is the one that's less likely to change between now and crimbo.
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 6:24:28 PM

The intel 80gb ssd is down to 200. Almost every current ssd owner will tell you its the best 200 dollars he ever put in to his computer. Think of the ssd as home to your o/s, most used programs. Not just your HD. I've been doing this for years, I adopted to the 10,000 rpm 37g raptors when they came out , for my o/s. That gave me satisfaction, sped up my system. But that jump cannot compare to hd/ssd its 100X faster.
June 15, 2010 6:48:48 PM

Yes, better go with another GTX285...
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 6:50:02 PM

notty22 said:
The intel 80gb ssd is down to 200. Almost every current ssd owner will tell you its the best 200 dollars he ever put in to his computer. Think of the ssd as home to your o/s, most used programs. Not just your HD. I've been doing this for years, I adopted to the 10,000 rpm 37g raptors when they came out , for my o/s. That gave me satisfaction, sped up my system. But that jump cannot compare to hd/ssd its 100X faster.

+1 Was going to say... ask someone that has an SSD, and they'll tell you it's the bomb.

Don't get me wrong, SLI is good too, but you'd have 2 x 285's when there will be 2 newer generations of nvidia cards out.
June 15, 2010 7:17:06 PM

still, pc starts up in half the time, or crysis maxed 1080p with aa???
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 7:42:35 PM

You are the best person to answer that,because it depends on whether you want more FPS in games or faster boot times and faster loading speeds
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 7:54:24 PM

I would rather get the SSD, later on sell the 285 and get a GTX 470/480. Spending cash on a 285 at this point in time will hurt you wallet later down the road when it is time to upgrade to a new GPU.
a c 124 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:01:42 PM

Yeah I'm not sure I'd invest in a 285 at this point, the next gen Nvidia Fermi's are out and who knows if there's more around the corner. But then, I like playing games with awesome detail so more GPU power is important to me. That's why I have RAID 0 HDDs lol. Much cheaper than SSD... not quite as fast either but they're still blazing.
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:09:17 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Fair enough, but if you were set on buying on or the other but finally ending up with both then I think the specs of and price of an SSD is the one that's less likely to change between now and crimbo.

True. I guess my opinion would be I don't think (personally) it's worth doing either upgrade for the OP. Now, if I owned an SSD someone gave me for free, I might say otherwise. ;)  But I think there's more overall "performance gain" in the GPU upgrade.

But I totally agree that doing a second 285 is not the greatest idea at this point. Things will be changing up in the near future, and the OP will probably wish they'd saved that $350 for the latest/greatest DX11 offerings from ATI/nVidia come Christmas.
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:24:12 PM

As someone who was actually in this EXACT scenario, I can speak directly to Unholy.

I have a GTX 285 (because my old 9800gx2 burned out and EVGA was so kind as to replace my card) and was contemplating going SLi or getting a good SSD. Although I don't play games at 1080p (I play at 1680x1050 with max settings), I can say that my SSD makes me very happy and I don't regret the decision.

Mousemonkey has a very valid point. Come Christmas time the technology for video cards will have changed more per price point than a Solid State Drive. I went with an OCZ Vertex LE 100gb and Windows 7 at the same time and my computer went from 2-3 minutes from start button till stable, to 20-30 seconds. Not to mention games load way faster.

I'm a very impatient person by nature, so I'd rather have faster loading and processing than that tiny extra edge in visuals from 4xAA to 8xAA, so obviously I am slightly biased here, but I would recommend an SSD over another 285. Wait until Christmas and get a better single GPU solution that you can build into later. Your SSD will give you better performance for your dollar in the long haul.

June 17, 2010 4:31:33 PM

thanks for the help guys, makes a big difference to the way i was looking at the scenario, i think il go with the ssd, sell off the 285 at xmas and go with a gtx 480, do gtx 285's still sell well 2nd hand? what sort of money would someone pay for one?
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2010 5:00:44 PM

They normally go for 250.00$ on Ebay, depending on the condition of the card and if it comes with the original box/cables etc.. 200.00$/225.00 if you only have the card..
June 17, 2010 6:17:45 PM

woah, im impressed, thanks guy!
June 17, 2010 7:57:47 PM

anyone wannt 10 month old gtx 285? 250$$ :) 
!