Help on Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I have my system build but plan on overclocking it so I will need more than stock cooling not really looking for liquid cooling as I would have to rebuild my system and spend more for cooling.

Case - Hades NZXT (need another top fan)
MOBO - Crosshair IV
CPU - Deneb BE 125W @ 3.4Ghz (need a great heatsink)
PSU - 750W Silencer (should handle OCin)
GPU - HD 4850 ATM, planing on XFX HD 5970 BE
RAM- G. Skill 4Gb @ 1600

Thanks in advance for all advice. :D

PS: I was thinking of OCin my CPU to 4GHz but when I had it at 3.8GHz my index score for graphics went down (not that index is important but helps show bottlenecks)

EDIT: If I don't reply I'm more than likely camping and will be back in a day or two. :bounce:

Solution
Lots ... but, for best cooling with a "reasonable" assurance of good clearance, all at a reasonable cost ... I can only say that you should get a cooler that is VERY MUCH like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

That means ... 120mm Fan(s) on a single, vertical "stack" (of relatively ~narrow~ fins) ... and that "stack-o-fins" should be raised up on four to eight "heat-pipes".

Like I said ... The quality and number of included fans, as well as other included mounting hw and accessories (for a given cost), ALL play into your decision.

I do not understand what you are trying to get at, with regard to the 140mm fan ... do not understand what the issue "is", from what you just wrote.

... I know coolers that are "much like" the hyper 212+...

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
One of these ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059&cm_re=120mm_cooler-_-35-118-059-_-Product

Optionally ... plus TWO of these ... for max cooling ... (PUSH-PULL CONFIG)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185091&cm_re=120mm_fan-_-35-185-091-_-Product

I like the Zahlman model because it is fairly priced and because it comes with ALL parts for a push-pull setup ... AND ... the one fan that it does come with is a good and quiet fan (unlike the Hyper 212+).

High quality and comes with everything you might need .... I think you will be MORE than happy with the single stock fan and will be very surprised at how much better (and quieter) it is, over the stock cooler. ... prepare to be amazed !

= Al =

PS: I just got back from camping, too ! ... My bathroom is SO beautiful, this time of year !

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

At $29, the 212+ is a "fair value", but newegg has jacked the price to $50 so, we are sort of boycotting it ...

ALSO ...

The fan that comes with the 212+ sucks beans ... many noise complaints, as well (see owner reviews).

ALSO ... The 212+ DOES NOT PROVIDE MOUNTING SCREWS FOR SECOND FAN ...

Zahlman ... Noctua ... Megahalems ... ALL DO and Zahlman is least expensive, by far.

Noctua and Zahlman both come with one most excellent (and quiet) fan ... Magahalems comes with NO FANS but provides mounting braxkets/clips for TWO.

Therefore ... The Zahlman with original single fan is a most excellent value and that fan can be "re-tasked" (as a case fan) if you decide to go with a matched pair (always) of Scythe Gentle Typhoons or Noctua fans (or any other matched pair of 120mm fans).

= That is the "down low" =

4745454b

Titan
I own the 212+, the fan is fine as far as I'm concerned. The antec case fan and the 120mm fan I pulled from a dead PSU make more noise then it does. My loudest fan is a rosewill(?) 80mm side fan I just bought. Its not loud cause of the spinning, but the air moving. I like my 212+, but I know there are better out there. I wouldn't shy away from it however due to noise.

If I wasn't going to get the 212+, the next ones on my short list would be the CCF, or perhaps the freezer pro. One of the best coolers out there seems to be the Cogage TRUE spirit, but its only for S1366. And if you go outside newegg you can still get the Hyper 212+ for $30 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Universal-Heat-Pipe/dp/B002G1YPH0

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
But if you are thinking of a 2nd fan ... Would be nice not to have to run around town (or the web) trying to find the correct screws for fan#2 ...

... Really ... most 120mm single vertical stack designs, with heat-pipes, will give great cooling ... it's really all about the fans and the mounting hw and what accessories are included ... paste ... screws, barackets, fans, noise attenuators
(Noctua LNA/ULNA) ... and if your fans include 3<>4 pin adapters, etc.

CFM (static pressure) and Noise ... main concerns. ... (after price).

Cross-Platform Portability (multi-socket compatibility) is always nice, when you are spending more.

So ... I am recommending the Zahlman for the following reasons ...

* Comes with all hw for 2 fans ...
* The included fan is very good (by all reviews)
* The Zahlman paste is very good. Comes with.
* It is $50 complete and is available at newegg.

Otherwise ... get the 212+ from Amazon @ $29 and be prepared to hunt parts if 2nd fan is desired.

For a simple Athlon build ... I would even consider the SunBeam.

4745454b

Titan
You might have a point. I haven't bothered trying to get a second fan on it. I have that antec fan so close I figured why bother... I believe it came with the clips to attach a second fan however, so I'm not sure what your talking about when you say looking for hardware.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
So ... Your 212 came with all the screws for TWO fans ?

I have heard and read several accounts of folks having to go to Home Depot, in search of the needed screws ... Hey ... You own it ... still got the box and 'structions?

Cost aside ... Noctua has the most effective/elegant/complete/quiet/sexy solution!
...If I was "Going for the gold", I would go Megahalems + 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoons and MX-2 ... Or that top-end 120+140mm "Double-Stack" (Turkey Sandwich) Noctua model...
... You MUST love the Noctuas for the LNA/ULNA and their sexy fan (blade) design ... and their included fan power adapters ... they include EVERYTHING you could want (except the 2nd fan, on some models) ...
... You won't need to run around town, if you get the Noctuas. It is ALL in there, and then some.

= You MUST ... I tell You ! =

= Al =

Yes i have a 212+ and it also came with all the necessary hardware to install a second fan.
I do agree that the stock fan could be quieter though.
I have a Thermalright MUX-120 and it's fan is dead quiet i have to look if it's spinning it also came with second set of fan clips and vibration strips.
Btw they now make a multi-platform MUX-120 called the Black Edition which fits AMD3.
Add another X-silent 120mm for second fan for additional cooling i did.

4745454b

Titan
Alvin, they don't use screws but clips. And yes, it came with enough clips to do the second fan if I wanted. If someone was looking for screws for the second fan, I don't think they read the 'structions. I agree that if I was "going for the gold" I wouldn't get the 212+, but for $30 its a good cooler. Better then most other $30 coolers out on the market.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

I really like the idea of 10-17 C less in CPU heat great for going @4Ghz with my Deneb but I'm not a fan of removing my side panel fan...

PS: I'm back from camping!!

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Dude ... You have like 10 excellent choices, at (or under) $50

The cooler should be "priced-in" as a "pecent of total system cost" ...

.... Remember that the goal is to acheive max ops per dollar ... and that ... at some point, a faster proc with a stock cooler would be cheaper.

= Hmmm ? = ( I *would* spend ~$50~$80 for a socket 1366 or a Dozer)

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah the heatsink you posted is great, gonna buy that one, but the extra fans are 120mm and my case top can use 140mm any alternatives?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Lots ... but, for best cooling with a "reasonable" assurance of good clearance, all at a reasonable cost ... I can only say that you should get a cooler that is VERY MUCH like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

That means ... 120mm Fan(s) on a single, vertical "stack" (of relatively ~narrow~ fins) ... and that "stack-o-fins" should be raised up on four to eight "heat-pipes".

Like I said ... The quality and number of included fans, as well as other included mounting hw and accessories (for a given cost), ALL play into your decision.

I do not understand what you are trying to get at, with regard to the 140mm fan ... do not understand what the issue "is", from what you just wrote.

... I know coolers that are "much like" the hyper 212+, will do the best job, while fitting the most cases and mobos ... and with most RAM kits.

... That's all I "got", for ya.

= Al =

Solution

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Well what I mean is the top fans in my case can seat 140mm but i like the reviews on the 120mm so I'll grab one and also get a collermaster hyper 212+ (just have to recheck to make sure it won't interrupt anything

Status
Not open for further replies.