1TB laptop hard drive

Tibbi64

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I have a netbook(HP dm3 2010us) and I also have a mini external hard drive,

http://oyendigital.com/USB-3.0-portable-hard-drive.html, I opened it up and this is the hard drive in it,

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/NN2-54-1000-STO.html

But its too fat, the one in my laptop is thinner. Is it b/c a 1TB 2.5 laptop hard drive is thicker? Can I buy a 1TB hard drive for my netbook? I just don't want to have my external plugged in all the time.

Thanks for the help.

Tibbi

Solution
2.5-inch hard drives come in two metric thicknesses, 12.5mm & 9.5mm, and yes you're right, because a very high capacity drive has more platters (disks) inside it, it has to be thicker to accomodate those extra platters.

Your netbook, on the other hand, is relatively thin for ultra-portability, and only a thinner, 9.5mm drive will fit in it.

Anyhow, don't be in such a hurry to do away with your external drive, I wish more people would buy one so they wouldn't then be pulling their hair out because their computer drive has failed and they didn't back up any of their stuff.

You could use your external drive to do exactly that - even keep a complete system image on it so if Windows ever goes tits up, or the netbook drive fails, you can...
2.5-inch hard drives come in two metric thicknesses, 12.5mm & 9.5mm, and yes you're right, because a very high capacity drive has more platters (disks) inside it, it has to be thicker to accomodate those extra platters.

Your netbook, on the other hand, is relatively thin for ultra-portability, and only a thinner, 9.5mm drive will fit in it.

Anyhow, don't be in such a hurry to do away with your external drive, I wish more people would buy one so they wouldn't then be pulling their hair out because their computer drive has failed and they didn't back up any of their stuff.

You could use your external drive to do exactly that - even keep a complete system image on it so if Windows ever goes tits up, or the netbook drive fails, you can easily restore the entire operating system, even on to a new hard drive.

Solution