Installing Windows 7 on Unallocated Samsung 830 256GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hello everyone,

I just got a Samsung 830 256GB SSD and I decided to plug it in to my new build and install Windows 7 on it.

As I was hitting next a few times during the installation, I briefly noticed that it said Disk 0 (Unallocated Space) on the drive that I wanted to install the OS onto. I didn't think much of it and clicked next, and the installation began.

After thinking for a while, I realized that on normal HDDs you would need to either format it or make a partition before you could install the OS.

Should I have done that with my SSD? Or are they different from HDDs in that way. Windows seems to be installing fine, but if it's incorrect, I'd like to know so that I can go back and fix it if I need to.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your help!

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, I figured it must automatically take care of it - I was just curious because I remember not being able to click next when the same thing happened with an Unallocated HDD. I had to manually go into the Disk Options and create a partition in the installation of Windows.

Here though, the next option was available, so I just clicked it.

Yes, its a new build with a brand new motherboard - so I'm assuming it hasn't changed from when I first looked into the BIOS. (I had to wait a few extra days before my SSD arrived, so I temporarily installed the OS on a Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Status
Not open for further replies.