Upgrading CPU Advice

I am hoping I can get a little advice. I have a hp built machine and I would like to upgrade the cpu. It currently has a q6600 quad core 2.4gz. I know the q6600 is very overclockable but unfortunately I can't due to the limited bios, which leaves the processor a bit weak for gaming. As far as I can tell, my mobo uses a 775 socket so I figure most 775 cpu should work. I was thinking that I might me better off going with a faster dual core, something like the E6600 Dual 3.06gz. Basically what I need to know is would I be better off swapping out my q6600 in favour of something like the E6600 or should I keep the q6600 and essentially put together a new system with a new mobo and oc it. Thank to anyone who could lend some advice.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading advice
  1. I wouldnt down grade to an e6600, stick with the q6600 and build a rig around it. If you have the money you might think about upgrading to an i7.
    If not the E6600 is still a great cpu for gaming, if you plan on overclocking I would definetly get an aftermarket cooler and a good case.
  2. Cheapest and easiest option is just replace the motherboard, buy a cooler, and OC that CPU. Going to a "faster" dual core is still going to be slower.

Other decent upgrade options (don't know what your specs are) would be Windows 7 64 bit, 4gb RAM, and a SSD. Depending on the GPU, you could get a new GPU and maybe will need a new PSU... And of course you might want to swap the case for something with better cooling or at least, if it has options for it, add some more fans.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hewlett Packard Product