Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LED display and Dead Pixels

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 15, 2010 7:16:20 PM

Hi,
I want to ask , can the dead pixel occurred with led screens ?

thanks
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 7:23:36 PM

Yes, dead pixels can definitely occur.

So called LED screens are LCD panels with an LED backlight. Imagine a LCD projector with a LED in the back instead of a Xenon bulb. As you can imagine the backlight doesn't produce color or contrast so it does absolutely nothing for picture quality. All LED is good for is low power.

I think manufacturers are trying to make everyone mistaken LED backlight with OLED pixels. OLED screens have very tiny organic LEDs as each individual pixel so the screens can have stunning contrast and color. OLED screens are based off an entirely different technology and in a class of their own.
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:06:19 PM

If you have a dead pixel, you should first seach for "stuck pixel fix" if it's actually just stuck on a colour. If it's dead it's a different story and you'll either have to live with it or hopefully get an RMA for a new monitor.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:16:52 PM

wolfram23 said:
If you have a dead pixel, you should first seach for "stuck pixel fix" if it's actually just stuck on a colour. If it's dead it's a different story and you'll either have to live with it or hopefully get an RMA for a new monitor.


Keep in mind, a solitary dead pixel is common enough that warranty typically won't cover it. You're manufacturer will probably require a certain number (or percentage) before they consider it a "manufacturing defect".
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:21:27 PM

Yeah true they sometimes want a lot of dead pixels. I purchased the IPR warranty from my local retailer and after 3 weeks, got a stuck pixel and had a new monitor only a few hours later :) 
You can apparently run some app to help make pixels stuck for RMA but I have no idea if that works lol.
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:21:27 PM

yep, just like the Egg requires at least 4 dead pixels before you qualify for an RMA, I know it sound ridiculous.. This is the main reason many steer away from having their monitors shipped by UPS since they normally kick your box around a few dozen times before it reaches your doorstep..
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:27:55 PM

wolfram23 said:
Yeah true they sometimes want a lot of dead pixels. I purchased the IPR warranty from my local retailer and after 3 weeks, got a stuck pixel and had a new monitor only a few hours later :) 
You can apparently run some app to help make pixels stuck for RMA but I have no idea if that works lol.


The same way UPS gives you free dead pixels, just bang the sides of the screen and they will magically appear =)
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 8:41:38 PM

OvrClkr said:
yep, just like the Egg requires at least 4 dead pixels before you qualify for an RMA, I know it sound ridiculous.. This is the main reason many steer away from having their monitors shipped by UPS since they normally kick your box around a few dozen times before it reaches your doorstep..


I've ordered so far 3 Asus 21.5" 1080p LCD monitors from NewEgg and so far they've all been perfect. Unfortunately, only one of those monitors was for my personal PC. :(  Eyefinity would be nice to have someday. LOL One for me, one for my in-law's PC, and one for my brother's PC. Not a dead pixel on any of them. :)  I've been fairly lucky.

Although... my 1 year old did manage to leave a couple very light scratches on the surface of my monitor. But you don't notice them unless you're looking for them.
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 9:11:19 PM

jerreece said:
I've ordered so far 3 Asus 21.5" 1080p LCD monitors from NewEgg and so far they've all been perfect. Unfortunately, only one of those monitors was for my personal PC. :(  Eyefinity would be nice to have someday. LOL One for me, one for my in-law's PC, and one for my brother's PC. Not a dead pixel on any of them. :)  I've been fairly lucky.

Although... my 1 year old did manage to leave a couple very light scratches on the surface of my monitor. But you don't notice them unless you're looking for them.


Well if your screens were delivered by UPS then I guess you did get lucky :D  cause I have ordered about 10 screens in the last 6-7 years and 6 of them that were delivered by Fed-Ex were in excellent condition vs 3 of the 4 screens delivered by UPS which had more than 1 dead pixel (boxes were also banged up). It's not a secret, everyone knows the reason why UPS is cheaper than Fed-Ex, so I normally recommend shipping heavy items via Fed-Ex and light paper weight items (that can resist getting banged up) via UPS.




a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 9:14:52 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well if your screens were delivered by UPS then I guess you did get lucky :D  cause I have ordered about 10 screens in the last 6-7 years and 6 of them that were delivered by Fed-Ex were in excellent condition vs 3 of the 4 screens delivered by UPS which had more than 1 dead pixel (boxes were also banged up). It's not a secret, everyone knows the reason why UPS is cheaper than Fed-Ex, so I normally recommend shipping heavy items via Fed-Ex and light paper weight items (that can resist getting banged up) via UPS.


Yeah all my NewEgg orders come via UPS. So far I've never had a single damaged item. So I'm doing pretty well!! :) 

Last time I got anything through FedEx was a box of diapers my wife ordered from Amazon.com. LOL
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 9:25:43 PM

Yea same here, I order everything via UPS except screens, GPU's, mobos and PSU's.

As far as the diapers go, well lets just say that it would be virtually impossible to have a box of diapers arrive DOA, lol!!
a c 212 U Graphics card
June 15, 2010 9:26:09 PM

For the OP, dead pixels is something specific to LED screens.....CRT's don't suffer from the phenomenon

FedEx Ground is the worst ..... UPS is very good, FedEx over night is better but you pay quite a bit more.
June 16, 2010 1:40:55 AM

LOL, what you will do if you got a used diapers then :D 

back to my question, it is really bad for someone to pay money for something new and he get it with a defect , thanks for all replies
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 1:31:17 PM

what do you mean if it is "really bad"? of course its bad =)

Every now n then you might get an item that does indeed have a defect, I wouldn't worry about that though.
June 16, 2010 1:56:24 PM

I mean for displays it is really bad when you have to live with a dead pixels and you cant RMA because your number of dead pixels does not qualify you for that, as jerreece said above
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 2:20:12 PM

welliam said:
I mean for displays it is really bad when you have to live with a dead pixels and you cant RMA because your number of dead pixels does not qualify you for that, as jerreece said above


My last monitor, an Acer, had a dead pixel. I had to live with it for about 2 years. Definitely bugged me whenever I noticed it, but then playing games with some colour a dead pixel isn't always noticeable only when it's supposed to show a dark colour so it wasn't super horrible. My new PC's first monitor had a stuck pixel (stuck on red) and that really annoyed me but I had bought the product replacement warranty at the store so it worked out well and I'm very happy to be dead/stuck pixel free.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 2:59:41 PM


yep just like wolf explained, if its a single dead pixel you wont really notice it unless you are looking for it. And I guess it depends on the screen as well, I have a 10 year old DELL 17" screen that has one dead pixel that is barely visible. My niece normally uses that screen to play on nick/disney sites and she has not complained. Now if you are scrolling down on a website that has a white background
like "Toms" then yes it is noticible. In games you cannot see it at all..

a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 4:13:10 PM

how does it luk like?...i know its stupid to ask this..but i havent seen one... :( 
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 5:09:36 PM

LOL I watched that YouTube video you posted OvrClkr. Just for the heck of it. Ironically, while the guy in the video was displaying the different colors on his monitor, I noticed a bad pixel (red) on this old work monitor of mine. I use this thing 6+ hours a day and never noticed it before. :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 6:20:22 PM

hehe, you can try to fix the pixel if it is not dead..
!