Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help! Windows won't start on new build

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2010 10:14:13 PM

So I completed a new build a couple of weeks ago and it has been running perfectly. Last night while playing Mass Effect 2 the game froze and was followed by a blue screen. It was already late so I gave up on playing for the night. Trying to start up again today I was greeted by an error in my boot screen: Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware or Software change might be the cause. I am given the option to: Launch Startup Repair (Recommended) or Start windows normally. The former simply kicks me back to a restart while the latter starts to run windows, doesnt get past the windows start-up screen and results in a frozen "Starting Windows" screen.

I wondered if this could be a heat related issue so I went into the the BIOS PC Health Status and saw CPU Temp at 67C at one time and 72C at another with MCH Temp at 54C. Are these temperatures the problem, or is it something else? If it is the temps, what should I do?

System info:

CPU/ Mobo: intel i7 930 @ 2.8GHz/ Gigabyte X58 UD3R
PSU: Corsair TX750W
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5870
RAM 8GB (2x4GB) OCZ Gold 1333
SSD Boot Drive intel X25M 80GB
HDD Storage 1TB WD Caviar Black

Thanks in advance for the help

More about : windows start build

a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2010 2:39:23 AM

Those temperatures are pretty high. Normal operating temperatures are around 40/30 for CPU/MOBO give or take 10C.

I'm also concerned about your GPU temps. If your CPU is that high your GPU is probably higher.

Things I've heard of people doing in the past was taking a box fan and just blowing it on the computer with the case open to keep the computer cool on hot days. As long as you keep the fan 3 feet away from the case it should be fine.

In the mean time you may want to look into after market CPU coolers and perhaps some air conditioning :p 

How hot is it in your room?
m
l
July 24, 2010 3:13:26 PM

thanks for the response

Since my last post things seem to have gotten worse. Powering up results in only a black screen.

It has been rather hot here lately, upper 90s, but my room never gets above the low 80s.

Is it possible my CPU, GPU or Mobo have been damaged? should I look at getting replacements now? This is my first build and my super tech friend is unfortunately out of the state this weekend. Mostly I'm confused as to how this could have just happened all of a sudden after a couple weeks of fine operation.
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2010 3:25:14 PM

Are you running aftermarket cooling or stock? See if there is any difference in temps with the side panel open.
m
l
July 24, 2010 4:02:25 PM

I'm running the stock cooler. As I just posted I am now just getting a black screen when i start up, so I don't know temps. I just saw I have some onboard LEDs lighting up on start up. What I think are the DDR Voltage, there seems to be two green, two yellow, and two red all lighting up stacked on each other. There is also another set that I'm not sure what it is lighting up which is two green and two yellow alternating. I never looked for these before so I don't know if they were lighting up before I started having any problems
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2010 4:25:58 PM

I would say make sure there's plenty of breathing space around your computer
open the case up let it breath
Get some fans blowing in your room.
Turn off your computer when you're not using it.

sneaky jedi said:
thanks for the response

Since my last post things seem to have gotten worse. Powering up results in only a black screen.

It has been rather hot here lately, upper 90s, but my room never gets above the low 80s.

Is it possible my CPU, GPU or Mobo have been damaged? should I look at getting replacements now? This is my first build and my super tech friend is unfortunately out of the state this weekend. Mostly I'm confused as to how this could have just happened all of a sudden after a couple weeks of fine operation.

m
l
July 24, 2010 5:58:41 PM

the computer is already fairly open, sitting in front of my desk in more or less the middle of the room, ill try opening up the side panels tho
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2010 6:18:24 PM

There is possible damage going on if the temperatures are extreme for a long period of time. It's really hard to say right now if it's damaged or just over heating and crashing. Some good quality boards in general can withstand pretty high temperatures but there's always that defect.

I know for me when I had this problem I basically couldn't use my desktop until night when it got cooler and mostly just winter. But now since I got a new apt with AC i don't have any problems.

Definitly look into a better CPU cooling solution and maybe even some RAM heatsinks to put on if the RAM you have doesn't have a heatsink. Just an idea. I know when I went from stock to my zerotherm heatsink my temps dropped from ~40c to like ~28 both at idle.

You might want to consider a hard drive fan to put on or behind your hard drive. I mean a cheap 80mm fan and just manually mount it behind the hard drive will do the trick. For video card I think they sell fans you can put under the video card that helps cool off the video card. I never used one though so I don't how effective it is.

Just some thoughts.

sneaky jedi said:
the computer is already fairly open, sitting in front of my desk in more or less the middle of the room, ill try opening up the side panels tho

July 25, 2010 12:03:20 AM

ok, i already have a couple 80mm fans taking in air at the front of my case across the HDD, as well as two exhausting in the back and on in the side panel, I'll look into getting a new CPU heat sink/ fan as well as possibly something for the GPU and RAM
m
l
July 25, 2010 4:18:17 PM

Best answer selected by sneaky jedi.
m
l
!