Old usb2 thumb drive now only works on usb3

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, i just built a new rig, and everything works perfectly except for the fact that it wont recognize ANY usb thumb drives in its usb2 slots but only on its 2 usb3. this is a problem... i know that these usb2 slots work because i am posting this using my keyboard plugged in into one of these... i know that the thumb drives work fine because i use them to pass files from older computers *usb2 only* to mine... and the usb3 does not really give me a speed boost... i already tried changing the ports onto which the cables connect, but to no avail.when it is plugged it does recognize it as a mass storage device but a few seconds after it reports that it failed to install (this is on the usb2)
please help...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

In the BIOS, Integrated Peripherals, Disable, then Enable the USB controller. Also do the same for the USB Storage Fx. F10 to save, yes.

Also the 3 internal USB headers may have a separate supply line as compared to the USB 2 ports on the back. Check carefully all 3 9 pin USB headers that are internal on the MB to make absolutely certain there isn't a bent pin or shorted pin in one of them. Easy to miss.

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
thanks for your reply Mr. John

i did what you instructed, and things got a bit better.
now it recognizes the thumb drives, even the names i gave them. but only for a few seconds. then they disappear, then appear. this happens on all the usb2 slots. every few seconds the computer makes the sound of something being plugged then unplugged back and forth...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

That's progress. Was it due to a bent pin in one of the USB headers??

Then I would download and flash the latest BIOS so it's up to date.

Then on the Gigabyte BIOS, click on Load Optimized to finish.

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

there were never any bent pins, i know i have the latest MOBO BIOS, actually even newer than the one that is offered on the website. the first MOBO i ordered had a BIOS that did not support my CPU therefore i RMAd and got the latest on the company had to offer.

the on the Gigabyte Bios, are you refering to this little program that lets me update the BIOS??? cause if you are i have not been able to find the Load Optimized option

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Check on page 52 of your manual. or in the BIOS, on the Main Menu Page, choose Load Optimized dEfaults, F10 save, yes.
What is the BIOS version you have on the board?

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

ok, i am sorry i misunderstood. now i did what you asked and saved but it still is the same, now this thing tells me that i cant install the drive correctly because i unplug it... i dont...

my board bios version.... where can i find that??? on the program i am told that it is just up to date...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

This BIOS version will be on the Main Page in your BIOS.
Or in Windows go to sysinfo32.exe, and on the system summary page it will list it along with the motherboard

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

the bios version/date is: Award Software International,Inc. FD, 3/20/2012

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
The latest BIOS on the gigabyte webpage is F8 3/21/12. That's probably what you meant, but if not, let me know.
That BIOS update was to improve the USB compatability, so possibly that is the issue. Have been referencing the Gigabyte MB listed on your post of Z68AP-D3

The only other thing to do is to reset your BIOS. That means turning your computer off, unplugging it, taking the round battery out for 1 minute, then placing it back in the MB. Then booting back up to the BIOS , and on the Save & Exit page, again choose Load Optimized, then F10, and Yes to save and reboot. See if that corrects the USB problems.

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

ok i am afraid to do that. the MOBO i have right now is the second one i have, the first one was the same model but it had to be sent back because it wouldnt support my cpu. then i was sent this one a week later with a bios update that would let me use the cpu i had purshased. my fear is, if i reset the BIOS the way you told me, would my cpu still work?
cause a few usbs not working is better than the whole thing not running...

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Ok, i updated, MOBO still works. But USB2 ports remain unchanged...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Try the flashdrive in one of the Etron EJ168 USB 3.0 ports, just to the right of the HDMI plug, on the back.

Also disconnect any cables to the three USB 2.0 internal connectors at the bottom of the MB, if you have any plugged in there, and then try the flashdrive in the USB 2.0 port just below the RJ-45 LAN connectoron the back I/O plate.

The USB 3 and USB 2 ports mentioned above come from different controllers.
See page 20 of your user manual.

bustillomoreno

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

ok, done...
but it still gives me the same series of sounds and messages...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
I'm assumming you are using Win-7 64 bit, if not let us know because the chipset drivers would be different.

For the chipset, there are two updated driver on the website:

Intel INF installation
9.3.0.1021 1.24 MB 2012/09/20

Intel Management Engine Interface
8.1.0.1263 6.20 MB 2012/09/20

These should be downloaded and installed. Since they are from Sept 2012, they may clear up the problem.

You didn't mention if the USB 3 ports work OK. Not how fast they are, but that they work, or not.