Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Partitioning RAID 0. Does it effect speed? Vidoe editing

Last response: in Storage
October 4, 2012 3:34:35 PM

Hello Adobe Folks.

I am currently setting up a hard drive configuration for stop-motion animation and video editing. I use Adobe software for everything except capturing the image (I use Dragon for that). A lot of the media I will be working with will be 4K, but I will be cutting on 2K and outputin 2K and less.

I would like to set up my media and scratch disks to have the best performance and was wondering if anyone could suggest some edits to my intended configuration. Possibly there may be settings within the software or disk utility that I can change?

Here it is:

Just bought this… (4TB version)

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H8338ZM/A/lacie-6tb-2... -series-raid-hard-drive

It will hold all of my project media and be connected to a iMac via thunderbolt. For now it is RAID 0 mac extended journaled. I am planning on formatting it to ExFAT because I may switch to PC when I upgrade my CPU the next time around. I would like to partition this into two partitions to make it easier to back up to two 2TB hard drives. Will this effect the RAID 0's performance?

My iOmega (firewire 800) will hold the project files and scratch disks Also ExFAT.

My iMac HD will run the applications.

I have 5 2TB 7200rpm HDs that my primary drives will backed up two periodically.

a c 353 G Storage
October 4, 2012 3:48:13 PM

The Highest performance for read/writes is at the Outer edge of the platters ie 20->30 %. The slowest speed ais at the20 to 30 % closest to the center of the platter - angular velocity vs lienear distance covered by the head.

First, raid0 ONLY improves Sequencial read/write performance, does NOTing to improve access time and/or small 4k random performance.

For a real performance boost, using raid0 look up short stroke. This is where when you first create the raid0 you only select 30-> 40 percent of the disk to create a array leavin the remainder of the drive unused, Unfornatatly the down side is that if you used 2 x 1 TB drives (normally 2 TBs) the size is limited to the 30 -> 40 % of 2 TBs. This does improve access time, ie if 12.6 mSec drives are used, access time is cut to about 9.5 mSecs. YES I have used short stroked raid0. However I discontinued Raid0 - 1) SSDs are SO MUCHHHHH fastered and 2) The typical HDDs are a poor choice, should use enterprise drives (Typical consummer drives just are not that reliable and if one drive fails, YOU LOSE All data on both drives).

Creating a array using the whole disk, then partitioning the drive, will improve the first performance on the first partition (compared to average, But on the same token it will decrease performance for data on the 2nd partition.
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:58:40 PM

I'll look into short stoke, thanks. :)  I have a 4TB drive so I will have a lot to work with and will have to see if its worth the %30 performance gains. Is the format ExFAT better or not so good for speed?

Is it advantageous to have my set up as follows?

4TB RAID 0 (thunderbolt) for media

1TB (firewire 800) for scratch disks and project files

Internal CPU drive for applications and OS.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
October 4, 2012 4:39:21 PM

For a performance system:
My recommendation is 1 x 128 gig SSD for OS + Programs, 1 x 256 gig for a "work/scratch disk) Remember - you do NOT work constanly on the same file. and a HDD dor storage. Place working video on 256 gig SSD, when done working with it Move to HDD. This will beat and Raid0 system - simular to a race car vs a 4 banger voltswagon with one cyclinder inop.
October 4, 2012 4:48:50 PM

Best answer selected by scott_mo.
m
l
!