Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 830 woes

Last response: in Storage
October 4, 2012 4:02:48 PM

I've recently added a Samsung 830 series SSD to my ageing Amilo Xa1526 laptop. It certainly speeded things up !

However I've got a few problems. First off the new disk absolutely refuses to boot on it's own - BSDs. Win7 shows a nice clean set of drivers, no unknown devices, chipset fully supported and latest (ie 2008 vintage !) NVIDIA graphics support (Geforce Go 7600). All seems tickety boo.

I have been told, maybe incorrectly, that my BIOS (Phoenix 1.1N) works in Raid mode, but there are no switches in the BIOS setup (no AHCI for example). Another odd feature is that although the system boots happily to the new disk it is listed with drive letter i:, and my old disk still appears with C: (Win7 64), D: (WIn7 32) and F: (data) drive letters.

Any insight into what's going on here would be great, particularly a diagnosis on the likely cause of the BSDs. When I get one I have to remove power lead and battery and then reboot, weird but it works !

Jon

More about : samsung 830 woes

a b G Storage
October 4, 2012 4:23:14 PM

How did you install Win7 on the SSD? What is the BSoD message?
a b Ô Samsung
a c 351 G Storage
October 4, 2012 4:30:26 PM

Did you do a CLEAN intall to the SSD, with ALL OTHER HDDs disconnected.

You have a Older AMD chipset, so if only IDE mode - then trim is NOT supported. Unsure about bios set to raid and AMD Trim support using the AMD chipset driver (i Know that the Intel platform does, But amd took a LONG time to get their ahci driver to support trim, let alone their raid driver. Selecting Raid Does not mean you have to use raid0 or 1 - Most laptops only support 1 drive so having "raid" in bios is pointless.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 4, 2012 6:26:40 PM

+1 to this "Did you do a CLEAN intall to the SSD, with ALL OTHER HDDs disconnected. "

You can get some weird stuff happening when you install to a new drive with another windows present. The first time I encountered this, I was only able to boot my computer if I left the Windows 7 install disk in my PC.
October 5, 2012 9:36:37 AM

Thanks - as I said the only way I could get the SSD to work was by having both drives in the system. Win7 would not install from the DVD so I copied it to the old drive, installed windows to the new drive and made the new drive bootable using EasyBCD.

Jon
!