Sony Notebook, can't print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Sony VGNA290 notebook(17 inch), running XP Home SP2 attached
to the docking station. When I try to print a test page, it gets an
error and won't print. I tried different parralell cable and it still
won't work. I can print to another networked printer but not to my
local printer. The printer is a HP 970 Deskjet.

Also when I boot up the machine, the printer seems to be talking to the
notebook. It does the initial boot sequence.

I haven't found anything in google, sony or msdn that would point to
the problem.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks
Dwight

Dwight wrote:
> I have a Sony VGNA290 notebook(17 inch), running XP Home SP2 attached
> to the docking station. When I try to print a test page, it gets an
> error and won't print. I tried different parralell cable and it still
> won't work. I can print to another networked printer but not to my
> local printer. The printer is a HP 970 Deskjet.
>
> Also when I boot up the machine, the printer seems to be talking to
> the notebook. It does the initial boot sequence.
>
> I haven't found anything in google, sony or msdn that would point to
> the problem.
>
> Any ideas on what to do?
>
> Thanks
> Dwight

First, you should install *only* the native printer driver in XP, not
the printer driver and software that came with the printer, if there is
a native driver. Second, remove any HP monitor software that was
installed. Third, see this site for help with XP printing problems, and
do not deviate from the recommendations.
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/

It was a cable problem. Tried a brand new one at it worked. The old one
must not be biderectional, eithe that or there are different kinds of
printer cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS