Favorites to another HD

I need to move my Favorites bookmarks from a dying HD to
another HD in the system. But Favorites seems to be more
than just a folder. Could someone describe the procedure
to move the contents of the Favorites folder to the Favorites
folder in another HD?

Rick Lowen

Richard Lowen wrote:
> I need to move my Favorites bookmarks from a dying HD to
> another HD in the system. But Favorites seems to be more
> than just a folder. Could someone describe the procedure
> to move the contents of the Favorites folder to the Favorites
> folder in another HD?

Please CROSS-POST instead of MULTI-POSTING in the future.
This way answers also get posted across different groups.

Assuming Internet Explorer favorites:

In IE:
File --> Import and Export

Then follow the wizard..

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi Rick,

If you have connected the old hard drive as Slave, then you can simply move
all the files from the Old hard disk's Favorites folder to the Favorites
folder in your User Profile.

In short, copy all the files (not the folder) from:
X:\Documents and settings\Rick\Favorites\
%Userprofile%\Favorites\
(This may be C:\ )

Where X:\ denotes the old hard drive.

OTOH, if the old hard drive is in other PC running an Operating System, you
can use the Internet Explorer Import/Export Wizard to backup the favorites,
and then transfer to the new system using a floppy disk or CD. Here is the
full info:

- Open Internet Explorer and click File menu, choose Import and Export...
- Click Next, choose Export Favorites, Select the top-level folder
- Type a filename, say C:\Favorites.htm and click Finish

The favorites are now stored as a Netscape type bookmark file named
Favorites.htm. You can transfer this file to a floppy/CD if you want to
backup or transfer to another system.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Richard Lowen" <LowensDen@HeissMail.com> wrote in message
>I need to move my Favorites bookmarks from a dying HD to
> another HD in the system. But Favorites seems to be more
> than just a folder. Could someone describe the procedure
> to move the contents of the Favorites folder to the Favorites
> folder in another HD?
>

> Rick Lowen

I have the 2 HDs on different IDE channels, and
files copy from one to the other with no problem.

Copying F:\Documents and settings\Rick\Favorites
to C:\Documents and settings\Rick\Favorites
doesn't seem to work, though - the bookmarks on
the source (F:) HD Favorites don't appear on the
target (C:) HD as entries in Favorites, although a
period of a lot of disk activity and the "flying files"
copying message box does occur.

Rick Lowen

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> If you have connected the old hard drive as Slave, then you can simply move
> all the files from the Old hard disk's Favorites folder to the Favorites
> folder in your User Profile.
>
> In short, copy all the files (not the folder) from:
> X:\Documents and settings\Rick\Favorites\
> %Userprofile%\Favorites\
> (This may be C:\ )
>
> Where X:\ denotes the old hard drive.
>
> "Richard Lowen" wrote:
>>I need to move my Favorites bookmarks from a dying HD to
>> another HD in the system. But Favorites seems to be more
>> than just a folder. Could someone describe the procedure
>> to move the contents of the Favorites folder to the Favorites
>> folder in another HD?
>>

>> Rick Lowen

>> from a dying HD

I guess this is the reason you're unable to copy the files.

--

>I have the 2 HDs on different IDE channels, and
> files copy from one to the other with no problem.
>
> Copying F:\Documents and settings\Rick\Favorites
> to C:\Documents and settings\Rick\Favorites
> doesn't seem to work, though - the bookmarks on
> the source (F:) HD Favorites don't appear on the
> target (C:) HD as entries in Favorites, although a
> period of a lot of disk activity and the "flying files"
> copying message box does occur.
>
> Rick Lowen
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> If you have connected the old hard drive as Slave, then you can simply
>> move all the files from the Old hard disk's Favorites folder to the
>> Favorites folder in your User Profile.
>>
>> In short, copy all the files (not the folder) from:
>> X:\Documents and settings\Rick\Favorites\
>> %Userprofile%\Favorites\
>> (This may be C:\ )
>>
>> Where X:\ denotes the old hard drive.
>>
>> "Richard Lowen" wrote:
>>>I need to move my Favorites bookmarks from a dying HD to
>>> another HD in the system. But Favorites seems to be more
>>> than just a folder. Could someone describe the procedure
>>> to move the contents of the Favorites folder to the Favorites
>>> folder in another HD?
>>>

>>> Rick Lowen

No, it turns out that the Favorites entries WERE copied
to the Favorites folder in the new HD. I was expecting
that the contents of the target Favorites folder would be
identical to those in the source Favorites. But since the target
Favorites derived from a clone of the old HD which I made
a couple months ago, the contents were *almost* identical,
and I didn't realize that entries that had been slightly renamed
in the source Favorites were *added* to the target Favorites
folder and they did not *replace* the target entries that hadn't
been renamed. Seeing the old versions in the target Favorites
made me believe that the transfer hadn't taken place.

Rick Lowen