Sign in with
Your question

Gaming comp, for next 3-4 years

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2010 2:31:49 AM

Greetings,
I am customizing a computer with a reasonable budget about $1800 with the goal of ensuring (as best as possible) that I have a very high end computer for gaming for the next 3-4 yrs.
As background, I play mostly on-line games. As i'm a noob, I ran into the problem several years ago of purchasing a lot of ram but not running a 64 bit system which basically meant it was going to waste, so i'm hoping to not make the same mistakes this time around. Add'l info is that i'm not really looking into OCing my rig (as i'm too dumb to do it and want it to last a while).

With that said I would be very thankful of any advice that the community could offer.

I am contemplating:
i7-960 3.20ghz
6 gb 2x3 DDR3 1600 kingston hyperX
ATI Radeon HD 5970 2g GDDR5
Asus p6x58d-e intelx58 chipset SLI/CrossfireX Mainboard TriChannel DDR3/1600 sataIII...

Aside from your advice, my questions are: a mobo that ensures i'm utilizing what I have. Enough ram, would 12 do anything else? For gaming 3-4 years down the road, am i even going to see a diff between i7 930/960? That's about a $300 diff.

Thank you, and sorry in advance for my noobishness!

More about : gaming comp years

July 24, 2010 3:04:48 AM

seven777 said:
Greetings,
I am customizing a computer with a reasonable budget about $1800 with the goal of ensuring (as best as possible) that I have a very high end computer for gaming for the next 3-4 yrs.
As background, I play mostly on-line games. As i'm a noob, I ran into the problem several years ago of purchasing a lot of ram but not running a 64 bit system which basically meant it was going to waste, so i'm hoping to not make the same mistakes this time around. Add'l info is that i'm not really looking into OCing my rig (as i'm too dumb to do it and want it to last a while).

With that said I would be very thankful of any advice that the community could offer.

I am contemplating:
i7-960 3.20ghz
6 gb 2x3 DDR3 1600 kingston hyperX
ATI Radeon HD 5970 2g GDDR5
Asus p6x58d-e intelx58 chipset SLI/CrossfireX Mainboard TriChannel DDR3/1600 sataIII...

Aside from your advice, my questions are: a mobo that ensures i'm utilizing what I have. Enough ram, would 12 do anything else? For gaming 3-4 years down the road, am i even going to see a diff between i7 930/960? That's about a $300 diff.

Thank you, and sorry in advance for my noobishness!

Yeah, I would go with the 930... I know you said you don't want to overclock, but if you ever decided a few years down the road you wanted more juice, you can safely and easily pass a 960's performance with a $40 heatsink.

That's a good motherboard choice, and ram too... I'm gonna make a quick build
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2010 4:12:21 AM

FYI some peeps paid in access of USD $800 for an 8800 Ultra GPU a few years back and we now know how horribly outclassed it is when standing toe to toe with current GPUs! So my $0.02:

Gaming rigs are about as least future proof machines as u can get: just get the most bang for buck config for your games *now* and look to upgrade the GPU slot slowly with time Also read up on Moore's Law on how fast tech moves and current tech gets obsolete ^^
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2010 4:40:05 AM

batuchka said:
FYI some peeps paid in access of USD $800 for an 8800 Ultra GPU a few years back and we now know how horribly outclassed it is when standing toe to toe with current GPUs! So my $0.02:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/Untitled-182.jpg
Gaming rigs are about as least future proof machines as u can get: just get the most bang for buck config for your games *now* and look to upgrade the GPU slot slowly with time Also read up on Moore's Law on how fast tech moves and current tech gets obsolete ^^

Yes, but 3 years is perfectly reasonable. A $2k rig NOW will play most games at high settings for years to come... a budget gaming rig would not.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2010 4:55:24 AM

No one could predict the GPU requirements of incoming games in the next years Btw i can say my $820AR config can do Full HD *now*
m
l
July 24, 2010 5:08:47 AM

I appreciate the responses thus far. I have done a lot of research in regard to the GPUs, and i'm comfortable with my selection in terms of it....assuming whatever benefits of it aren't being limited by ram or mobo or cpu. I'm also cognizant of games being designed to meet the most common denominator but i'd like to plan on having a rig that outperforms it rather than one that can play it and enjoy the lag (although even i realize that some of that is server side) guess w/ that component aside I want to make sure i'm not handicapping myself w/ the others...ie you'll never be able to take advantage of that gpu b/c of "insert bottleneck" w/ mobo/cpu/ram etc or you'll never even notice the gain w/ having "insert blah blah blah" b/c no games are going to be running that high for you to experience it...
m
l
July 24, 2010 5:09:21 AM

Here's a quick build:
(not sure why the link isn't showing up, but the address works)

I went with the dual GTX 460 route this time... taking up an extra slot right off the bat, otherwise you could get a more powerful single card and set it up for a future SLI/Crossfire rig. This way is more cost effective though. A 5970 is pretty much a 5850x2 for $700... which seems awfully wasteful to me.

Take into account, this only costs $1600, so you have room for improvement, but these are some of my favorite's.... I thought I'd leave room for Windows if you needed it.
m
l
July 24, 2010 5:26:09 AM

batuchka said:
No one could predict the GPU requirements of incoming games in the next years Btw i can say my $820AR config can do Full HD *now*

Yes, but it all depends on what type of customer you are... A $820 system will not provide smooth gameplay for modern games at very high settings. Great graphics and flawless gameplay is what a lot of people are after, and if you want it to last more than a month, you need to invest more than a grand. My last build was $750 and it was very satisfying for about a year, but I could never MAX any games out or rely on butter-like performance. Granted, for MOST people under a grand will do, but for people looking for more, it doesn't cut it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2010 5:30:55 AM

Err just so u know it's not Nehalem based @@
m
l
July 24, 2010 6:16:37 AM

I never said it was....? That's a great build.. all I'm saying is that sometimes people want more than high settings. They want max settings in games, and for a while. That is what OP has stated he wants.
m
l
!