Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my SSD to a larger SSD: how to transfer my data?

Last response: in Storage
October 4, 2012 6:16:13 PM

Hello,
I currently have a ocz vertex 2 (60gb) ssd and im planning to upgrade to a samsung 830 (128gb) ssd. My os is currently installed on my 60gb ssd and what i want to know is how to transfer all of my data onto the 128gb drive and make it my new c:/ drive so i dont have to format and start all over. is there a way of doing this or will i have to re-install windows? Im running windows 7 ultimate 64bit by the way and i have an extra 1tb hdd which i have half of my programs on.
a c 148 G Storage
October 4, 2012 6:29:18 PM

Using any free cloning software to clone the OS from ocz to the 830, it is fine from SSD to SSD, and I will not recommend to clone from HDD to SSD.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 4, 2012 6:40:21 PM

I've used Acronis True Image Home many times to clone HDD to SSD, SSD to SSD, and SSD to HDD. All have worked fine. Windows 7 knows how to set for each device, e.g. to not run defrags on a SSD.
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 10:51:36 PM

ok thanks, what other programs would you recommend? and is there any disadvantages of cloning? like will it degrade my overall system performance?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 4, 2012 11:25:05 PM

Use Acronis and their disk cloning option. Install your new SSD and in the Acronis software select the source and target and start cloning.
m
l
October 5, 2012 12:34:01 AM

another option that I have had much success with in the past is macrium reflect, it's available on cnet as a freeware version of the program.

It'll allow you to make recovery media disks as well, very well laid out and simple to use.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 5, 2012 2:18:38 AM

I've used both EasyUS (freebee) and EZ-Gig (Software free but requires a speacial USB -> Sata Cable. Both work great for cloning from SSD -> SSD.
While I do Not recommend going HDD -> SSD, there are a few exceptions, Ez-Gig did an excellent clone.

Probably one of the best methothods is right under your Nose. Simply go to windows back-up (in control; Panel) and make a back-up image of your OS drive (SSD). Use the HDD to store the image. When the image is done you will be prompted to create a Recovery/repair Disk, Up to you as I just use a regulare Windows installation disk.
Power off, disconnect Old SSD, connect new SSD.
Inset the Repair disk created above, or a Windows 7 installation disk - Select Repair, Restore from Image. 15 Min later reboot to new SSD.
m
l
!