Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Desktops
  • Dell
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 25, 2010 7:57:03 AM

Hello,

First post here. A friend recommended me here so here I go... I have a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop and my default sound card is the Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS. The sound card is currently causing crackling noises to go through my speakers. I read that the crackling is a common thing with these sound cards.

Soooo, I'm in the hunt trying to purchase a sound card that has great quality and is at a reasonable price range (no more than $100.00). The thing is that I have no idea what sounds cards out there are compatible with my Dell desktop. Please if anyone out there has some suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

More about : recommend good sound card

September 25, 2010 8:13:21 AM

mosox said:
Asus Xonar D1.

http://www.testfreaks.com/sound-cards/asus-xonar-d1/

What speakers?

http://www.techfuels.com/speaker/7370-altec-lansing-ser... :lol: 

It's my wife's cpu, but they do the job for her. She just listens to her ITunes. No gaming or anything like that...

So, the one you recommended will be compatible? I notice it's not as big as the Creative Labs card. Not for sure if that makes a difference.

Sorry, I'm a beginner when it comes to sound cards.
m
l
September 25, 2010 8:43:40 AM

Can't see the link. Anyway the Asus goes in the same slot (PCI) so it's compatible. It's half the height of the Creative and 4x better, especially for music.
m
l
September 25, 2010 9:04:57 AM

Are you sure its not the speakers/wires? Might want to try a driver update as well. Also if its just for music, whats wrong with onboard?
m
l
September 25, 2010 9:10:50 AM

Audigy is famous for crackling. Try disabling all what's "in" in your sound card application though. Line-in, etc. Also you can look up and try the Daniel_K modded drivers.
m
l
September 28, 2010 5:37:40 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I actually just purchased a $20.00 Diamond sound card. Hopefully it well work great with my desktop.
m
l
September 28, 2010 5:52:12 PM

you relaly might wanna consider upgrading speakers before you buy any sound card.
m
l
September 28, 2010 6:02:47 PM

I did that already, same result. I'm preety sure it's the sound card.
m
l
September 28, 2010 9:40:49 PM

its not the speakers u linked is it??
m
l
September 28, 2010 9:59:55 PM

Nope, I got some other expensive speakers thinking it was those cheap speakers...same crackling noise came out of them as well.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:02:30 AM

then i belive its the soundcard thats causing this, like u sed.
m
l
October 4, 2010 5:47:41 PM

I received my new sound card, installed it and all is well. :-)
m
l
!