Sign in with
Your question

Installing OS on SSD throught PCI SATA III Adapter

Last response: in Storage
October 4, 2012 7:03:50 PM

Good evening, im trying to build up a low budget pc and so far i've tried to get the components and wanted to go for SSD but i have an issue, my MOBO doesn't have SATA 6.0 only 3.0 (Asus P8H61-M LE REV 3.0)

My question is, having no other HD with OS intalled, grabing this all brand new out of the box, i wanted to know if it was possible to have the pci adapter to enable me get sata III ssds work at "full speed" instead of plugging it into sata II for half performance. I've tried searching for info on this matter but i had no answer as im trying to install an OS (Windows 7) on a SSD only connected throught the adapter, as i was told i would need to have the driver for the adapter controler in order to do that but so far i wasn't able to find the actuall drivers for the controller as im still trying to find a low budget adapter (if anyone has a good advise for the adapter please post :)  ) for my system.

I could try installing OS normaly with the Sata III SSD plugged into SSD II but if i wanted to connect it after to the adapter to get the sata III speed performance would it work?

Best Regards
a c 124 G Storage
October 4, 2012 8:50:39 PM

You mean the SATA III add on card for your SSD.

If you say yes, then don't do that. You need to have at least a PCIe x4 to get maximum advertised speeds of the SATA III SSD. But the card is not cheap. If you get the low budget adapter you will get the lower speed than the SATA II.

I will say just connect the SSD into the SATAII port. Even if it can't get the full speed, you can feel it in the real usage and you only can see in the benchmark.
a c 317 G Storage
October 4, 2012 8:51:22 PM

Save yourself a ton of headaches and just install it on an onboard SATA 3Gbps controller -- the performance difference is minimal and not noticeable by a normal human.

Low budget adapters frequently do not support boot drives, and no don't try to swap it to a different port after installation.

Edit: so yeah cin19's advice is what you should take, don't try to overthink this budget machine, the SSD on 3Gbps will be the strongest link in the chain anyway.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 4, 2012 8:58:44 PM

hey guys a cheap sata 3 card is possible. Any card with the ASM1061 chip will work well enough to give you decent speeds and to enable trim.

While not ideal a $20 card even at pci-e 1x can still be a huge improvement. I just went through this a few months back... Do I get a whole new board chip and ram, or do I just get the ssd and a cheap pci card. Here are some real number from the PC I use very day.

These are from crystal diskmark.

WD black 750gb on sata 2 controller
seq read 93.91 Write 91.85
512kread 43.42 write 60.14
4k read 0.668 write 1.647

Sandisk 120gb extreme onboard sata2
seq read 132.4 Write 106.3
512kread 131.3 write 106.8
4k read 45.56 write 52.46

Now same SSD same install on the sata3 pci-e card running in 1x mode
seq read 196.5 Write 151
512kread 188.0 write 130.6
4k read 110.2 write 94.25

I know these speeds are still half of what the drive is advertised at but the point is for around $100 for drive and pci-e card I was able to double or tripple the over all feel of the PC.

Windows 7 boots in like 10 seconds.. it used to take 45.
MW3 map loads in like 5 seconds it used to take 30.
BF3 Map loads in like 20 seconds it used to take like 2 minutes.

a b G Storage
October 4, 2012 9:00:42 PM

P.S. my last post was done on a core2 quad q9650 and an old nforce 750i board that would not support trim, or ahci
October 4, 2012 10:04:27 PM

bucknutty said:
hey guys a cheap sata 3 card is possible. Any card with the ASM1061 chip will work well enough to give you decent speeds and to enable trim.

While not ideal a $20 card even at pci-e 1x can still be a huge improvement. I just went through this a few months back... Do I get a whole new board chip and ram, or do I just get the ssd and a cheap pci card. Here are some real number from the PC I use very day.

These are from crystal diskmark.

WD black 750gb on sata 2 controller
seq read 93.91 Write 91.85
512kread 43.42 write 60.14
4k read 0.668 write 1.647

Sandisk 120gb extreme onboard sata2
seq read 132.4 Write 106.3
512kread 131.3 write 106.8
4k read 45.56 write 52.46

Now same SSD same install on the sata3 pci-e card running in 1x mode
seq read 196.5 Write 151
512kread 188.0 write 130.6
4k read 110.2 write 94.25

I know these speeds are still half of what the drive is advertised at but the point is for around $100 for drive and pci-e card I was able to double or tripple the over all feel of the PC.

Windows 7 boots in like 10 seconds.. it used to take 45.
MW3 map loads in like 5 seconds it used to take 30.
BF3 Map loads in like 20 seconds it used to take like 2 minutes.

My issue isnt really trying to get the sata III run at full speed but more about getting it to work, as what i wanted to do was installing the OS on the SSD III plugged as a sata II and then get it plugged to the sata III add on to boost it up the seq read mb/s (once again like cin19 said) thats why i wanted to know if it was possible to do this trick without causing problems, in the end the objective was to have just teh SSD being booted throught the sata add on.

But i may go with cin19 opinion, since i would probably get a SSD II with the same specs as teh SSD III, would be cheaper/more storage space.

The system im trying to build ain't that much:
P8H61-M LE REV 3.0
Intel Pentium G860 3.0
Kingston 8GB (2x4GB)
VGA(trying to get disk first then i have to ponder a good graphic card for the system so it wont bottleneck)
October 4, 2012 10:10:46 PM

im running 4 ssd's at my house and only one is on a sata III board...if you want to reamin budget build then skip the card, run the ssd on the sata II, you will be happy....i am running a $60 128 gig ocz on a $19 as rock board and it flies...i kept true to my word on my budget build and went super cheap and that system is fast....my sata III gigabyte board with 16 gigs ram, 6 core processor and a Kingston ssd is really fast but honestly the budget build isnt much slower
a c 317 G Storage
October 5, 2012 12:42:20 AM

SrPuma said:
My issue isn't really trying to get the sata III run at full speed but more about getting it to work, as what i wanted to do was installing the OS on the SSD III plugged as a sata II and then get it plugged to the sata III add on to boost it up the seq read mb/s (once again like cin19 said) that's why i wanted to know if it was possible to do this trick without causing problems, in the end the objective was to have just the SSD being booted through the sata add on.

But i may go with cin19 opinion, since i would probably get a SSD II with the same specs as the SSD III, would be cheaper/more storage space.
I agree with con19, but get the best SSD -- other stuff counts besides sequential read/write (which is the most impacted by SATA 3Gbps, but is not really noticeable in real life), like I/O, random read/write, and reliability. Do yourself a favor and get a Crucial or Samsung SSD of whatever size you can afford. And buy on a sale -- Crucial 256Gb M4 drives were $170, no rebates or anything, on Newegg a day ago.
!