Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia geforce 7600gt problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2010 1:07:00 AM

Hello,

Not sure if this is related to my Nvidia GeForce 7600GT, but if I leave my computer on for over 24 hours, the screen will go black for a couple of seconds, then I'll be able to see whats on the screen. I swapped out the cables and even switched over to a standard analog cable but it does the same thing. Also, I will see small dots appear and at first I thought it was my monitor, but I connected another monitor and the small dots still appeared. I have had this Computer/Monitor for approx 2 years and I am trying to determine if it is a hardware or software issue. I just checked the temperature on the card via the NVIDIA Control Panel and it shows the temperature of 64 degrees. In addition to the screen going black and then momentarily being able to see what I was normally looking at, the mouse freezes and there are delays when clicking on applications such as VZ access Manager and clicking on something seems to aggravate it making the screen go black again. This only happens if for example I leave the computer on all night, then the next day I have to re-boot and even though the small dots still appear, it works fine unless the computer is left on for a long time. What a flipping mess...
a b Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 8:14:00 AM

It could be an overheating...
64'C for how long? Only 2-3 hours?
If you leave your PC all night long, it could produce more heat and the hardware couldn't take it further more...

have a spare card? Try it on and if the freezes disappear then you got a dying card (7600GT)...
m
l
June 16, 2010 8:29:58 AM

test your video card - atitool

65ºc isnt hot for a video card, 90ºc is
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2010 11:35:07 AM

wa1 said:
It could be an overheating...
64'C for how long? Only 2-3 hours?
If you leave your PC all night long, it could produce more heat and the hardware couldn't take it further more...

have a spare card? Try it on and if the freezes disappear then you got a dying card (7600GT)...

I left the computer on all night and usually I am ok the next morning upon awaking, however, if I leave it on all day while I am at work, the flashing from blank screen to being able to momentarily seeing what is actually there begins again and if I am lucky and the mouse or keyboard does not freeze, I can sometimes do a CTRL/ALT/DEL/Task MGR and do a restart and I am good to go for another 24 hours. Upon awaking this AM @ approx 7:00 AM, the temperature is fluctuating between 64 and 65 degrees. Hopefully it is just the card. I do not do any on line gaming and my system is a HP Pavilion M7690n. What do you recommend as far as a compatible card that would be inexpensive that would not need to be for gaming as I just use this computer for reading E=mails and surfing on the net. Thanks for your fast reply...
m
l
June 16, 2010 11:38:06 AM

apache_lives said:

Thanks. I think you are saying I can test my video card but do not know what atitool. Is that a hardware device or software that I can download or purchase that will diagnose my card?
m
l
June 16, 2010 11:42:51 AM

apache_lives said:

I just did a google search on this and it appears this is a software app, however, I think I will have to do more research to learn how to interpret the readings to recognize what is normal and what is normal and to know what parameter to not adjust or maybe to adjust.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
m
l
June 17, 2010 10:48:37 AM

I looked inside the computer and to my surprise saw very little dust. I vacuumed the inside anyway and attempted to remove The NVIDIA Gforce 7600 GT card after unscrewing the top screw with a Phillips head screwdriver. I was successful in getting part of the card out closest to the Phillips head screw I had removed but could not remove the back portion of the card and noticed when I slightly attempted to move the card from side to side and forward and back while applying upward pressure, it still would not remove. I guess it is narrowed down to 2 things...either the card is dying as the gentleman said earlier or the slot that supports the card on the motherboard is dying, or maybe both! Now I am wishing it was a software issue! Nuttins easy!
m
l
June 20, 2010 6:05:55 PM

If its an Nvidia card you should have the Nvidia control panel on your computer. That has a stability test you can run on your card and I'm pretty sure on the PCIe bus, too. Try running it on one and then the other. Just run it for a few hours while you're home and see if it crashes. If its a heat issue you should start having monitor flickering problems pretty early on.

One more thing you can try. Does your computer have another monitor port on it? It might, a lot of motherboards have a basic onboard video chipset. Try using that for awhile, it will do fine for email and web browsing.
m
l
June 21, 2010 11:07:51 AM

Well...All that is out the window. Had a lightening storm yesterday and during the storm, I powered everything down and turned off the computer. When the storm had passed, I hit the power button which was on the surge protector powering the PC, Minitor, Computer and TV after I turned on the UPS and the next thing I know, I hear what appeared to be internal sizzling and could smell what appeared to be burnt electronics. I am praying to god it is just the power distribution box. I have removed it from the computer and will be purchaing another one today. I have also called my insurance company and put in a claim. I hope I do not have to follow up on the claim and it is just the power distribution box. Nothing in the house was damaged except the pc. Monitor, printer, tv, sat receiver, video players, dvds, all of which were plugged in the ups were fine. The only thing plugged in the surge protector wasw the pc, monitor, and printer.

Prior to the storm, I had already switched the cable on the slots in the back of the computer in which there were 2 dvi slots. Did not have any affect.

I went into the control panel also prior to the storm and tested everything and everything check out ok. Also did a check in dxdiag and it turned out ok. Also, went to the recovery option and tested everything through the internal pc doctir and everything checked out ok. PC temperature was registering though the BIOS @ 55C or 132F.

It would be so kewl if after I put the new power distribution box in the pc, that not only all components worked, but this other issue would be corrected as well. Oh well, time will tell...
m
l
June 21, 2010 3:47:51 PM

Sorry to hear that, best of luck with the new PSU. A bad PSU can cause weird system instability and may have been part of your problem, hopefully that's all it was.
m
l
June 24, 2010 2:35:22 PM

Unfortunately, the whole flipping mother board is fried as well as the PSU. Oh well, guess I can use the pc as a door stopper...
m
l
June 25, 2010 9:56:00 PM

That's too bad, best of luck with your future endeavors, though.

Oh, and keep your hard drive, you never know, it might still work if you want to attempt to get your files from it.
m
l
June 26, 2010 7:26:58 AM

Already connected as a slave and transferred the files. Thanks for your suggestions and invaluable input.
m
l
!