disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hello,

A few days ago (i've been googling and trying everything since then) i recieved my new conponents and built my computer.

i7 3.06
XFX X58I Motherboard
560 TI Twin Frozr II Graphics card
1tb 7200RPM HDD
2 dvd drives
8gigs of ram (4x2gig) 1600mhz 1.65v
windows 7 64bit

With execption to a few times i have not been able to get booted fully into windows with more than 1 stick (2gig) of RAM.
The few times it has worked the system tuck a long amount of time (minutes) to boot and once in i experienced alot of freezing/stuttering which eventually ended with the system freezing, upon restart i have not been able to get it boot back once that happened unless i completely wiped my HDD.

Having said that i can get it to run fine with just the one stick of RAM, all four sticks have been tried, all four sticks will work. It is only upon putting in a second stick (or more) does it fail. It gets to the windows logo and stops there.

I have tried setting the RAM voltage to 1.65 instead of auto, doesnt help, although to be honest im not even sure if im setting the right option as there are three things in the bios that refere to RAM and Voltage (Dimm Voltage/DIMM VTT Voltage/Dram Voltage) I changed the first since it was the only one upon looking that made sense (i could select 1.650 since RAM is 1.65 i figured it was the correct one)

As i've said i've been googling like crazy and not only do i not seem to be able to find a fix but anything that has been mentioned i have tried.

Please help

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Already tried will not work, i've followed the motherboard documentation as to where the sticks should be (even though the manual is only 2 pages it still has the colours of the RAM slots mixed up) even then i tried reversing it and still no luck.

I've also tried just installing 2 sticks, 3 sticks and 4 sticks. Nothing but one stick will work.

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I already have an RMA booked for it since i could find loads of issues with that particular board online all with this memory issue.

Just for piece of mind, this motherboard said it supports upto 12gig of DDR3 Tri-channel RAM running at 1333ghz.

As far as im aware my 1600ghz RAM won't matter since it just scales downward correct?
Also if it supports upto 12 the only way to fll them slots is 6x2gig sticks, which wouldn't it then just be dual channel? Or does it running as dual channel or tri-channel not matter at the the end of the day with this board and its merely stating it can run as tri-chanel?

Here's a link to board (plus coincidentally the top post is having the same issue) http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1853_1.html

Last but not least, would changing any bios settings possibly sort out this problem? Or are thos kind of changes just purely for proformance and stabilty, and it should just work out of the box regardless? Im sorry but im really useless when it comes to those things and all the searching i've done hasn't shed any light on the matter.

Thanks for the reply.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Correct.
' would not matter here; one stick in each channel must run, and must run tri-channel.

Nope. Sorry.

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Sorry it was late last night and I just noticed what you said, it's not only the case that each and every stick will work in that one slot, each and every stick will also work in the other black slots one at a time aswell. It's when I add more than the one stick it doesn't work.

I know when I rang up for the RMA the guy said it was common for these boards just too something (sorry forgot exactly what he said) now happening on the CPU and not the board and did I check the avl list for memory. However I can't for the life of me find an avl list for this mb anywhere, so I'm guessig xfx dont actually make the board just mod it or pay to put their name on it.

I'm hearing so many different things as to what is the issue may be it's quite confusing, nothing like this ever happened when I used to build years back.

My concern right now is even if I get another board I'm going to be in the same position, since every mb I look at that fits my i7 has x58 in it's name, once the RMA is done I'm going to pick up

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195331

Once again thank you.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
The QVL at XFXforce.com may or may not list your RAM, but it should be irrelevant in that modern memory is almost universally compatible. I think QVLs have become more for branding for kickback.
You can't go wrong with that Gigabyte board - they make their own and back it up.
Sorry about all your frustration - been there :)

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Sorry just one last thing that got me thinking, again i've checked around but well nothing. I guess i suck at search =/

I've ordered that gigabyte board and have the XFX on RMA.

What i've noticed since cheaking other threads is a decent AVL list on corsair lists (my RAM), now this is probably stupid but i'll ask anyway

my RAM code is CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Now the XFX and the board i've ordered don't list that RAM as compatible however they do list CMX6GX3M2A1600C9

im prosuming that one number change (first 4 to a 6) is the maximum RAM. In other words i have 4 sticks of RAM, so i'd just install 3 sticks and im fine right? Or am i just changing numbers and really my RAM is what has been screwing me over?

disturbedm

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Figured i'd give an update to square this all off.

I recieved my new Gigabyte board this morning, and now within a matter of a few hours everything is perfect. Cleary that XFX board was a pos.

Thanks yet again!

rashwan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
i have the exact same board , Ram & problem :pt1cable:

have tried everything even before you purchase your X58i , finally i knew its NB issue that cannot be fixed

still have my board running only 2GB :p looking forward to purchase G1.Guerrilla