Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop ssd

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2012 3:07:45 AM

I have a budget for $200 give or take for a SSD for the Inspiron 17R Special Edition Laptop I just brought. Looking at 240gb range.

The system has an additional slot for an extra HDD so need one that will fit correctly.

What are your recommendations

Cheers

More about : laptop ssd

October 5, 2012 12:33:45 PM

would you recommend the Plextor M5S Series PX-256...
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2012 1:19:24 PM

Yes, but not as much as the Samsung 830.
m
l
October 5, 2012 2:41:49 PM

I second the Samsung 830 recommendation. I've used the 830, Crucial m4, and sandforce drives, and the 830 is definitely the best. It helps that AnandTech is always recommending the 830, too.

My second recommendation would be the Vertex 4.

My third recommendation would be to wait for the Samsung 840.
m
l
October 5, 2012 2:43:56 PM

naf said:
I second the Samsung 830 recommendation. It's the best.

My second recommendation would be the Vertex 4.

My third recommendation would be to wait for the Samsung 840.

Vertex 4 isn't supported by a lot of laptops. I wouldn't recommend it for a laptop because of that and its unusually high power consumption for an SSD. It's faster than an 830 most of the time, but my second choice would probably be Plextor or Crucial, depending on pricing.
m
l
October 5, 2012 2:45:34 PM

luciferano said:
Vertex 4 isn't supported by a lot of laptops. I wouldn't recommend it for a laptop because of that and its unusually high power consumption for an SSD. It's faster than an 830 most of the time, but my second choice would probably be Plextor or Crucial, depending on pricing.

Good to know - not a laptop user, haven't seen power benchmarks.
m
l
October 5, 2012 6:43:23 PM

That is out of OP's specified budget and it's not the best. Vertex 4 beats in overall. Your link states this, so I don't know why you claim otherwise when posting a link that doesn't agree with you. Vertex 4 only loses overall when it's about 80% full, something that's not very safe for the longevity of any modern SSD anyway.
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
October 5, 2012 8:34:39 PM

First off, ignore Benchmarks, in real life day-to day usage you will not see a nickels worth of difference.

I love the Samsung 830, However The m4 is lower in power consumption when active. the samsung 830 is slightly lower at idle. With HDDs idle is a more a consideration than for SSDs. reason when "idle" time the SSD will use this to do it's wear leveling, and garbage collection.
Anandtech: They love the 830, but in several of there reviews their bottom line was 830 for desktop, curcial M4 for Laptops. NOTE: The 840 is Much lower on power consumption than the M4, My quess is that this will become the most recommended drive for laptops. Both the Plextor and the M4 use a marvel controller, but the Plextor is lower power consumpution than the M4 - but generally cost more.

My Desk top (i5-2500k) - 256 gig 830 + a 128 gig 830
Laptop (17 " i5-2410m w/daul HDDs bays) - 256 gig m4 plus a 128 gig M4

PS I have a toshibia with two HDD bays, but they (cuss word) did NOT put the HDD connector on the MB for the 2nd bay.

PSS - If you want to look at benchmarks, look for one that uses REAL programs such as PC mark vantage (think that's the one). Anandtech use to use it but stopped as id should very little real life difference. they replaced it with what they call workbench.
Sequencial performance, most often quoted - but LEAST important. Files for a OS + Program drive are most often small and Randomly spaced on a drive, Reason Access time and 4k random read are most important.
Also ATTO benchmark is rather poor. It was developed for HDDs and as such uses data that is Highly compressable - again NOT representive of real files on a OS + Program drive.

Bottom line: Curcial m4, Samsung 830 and plextor M3/M5 are all great choices and my normal recommendation is Buy which of the three are CHEAPEST at purchase. If power consumption is a bigg concern then Plextor-> M4-> 830. UNLESS you holdout for the 840. will provide some links.
Samsung 840: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-...
and: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6338/samsung-ssd-840-prel...
Plextor m5 pro: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6153/plextor-m5-pro-256gb...

Note: I recently bought both the M4 (256 gig) and the Samsung 830 (256 gig) drives at $180 each and that was several months ago. Don't rush and You will find a great by over holiday periods - LIKE this MONDAY and over thanksgiving.
October 6, 2012 3:20:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. I live in Australia and the best prices iv got here are at http://www.mwave.com.au
Plextor M5S - $180
Samsung 830 - $230
Crucial M4 256GB - $235

So there u go a clear winner.
Cheers for the help
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
October 6, 2012 1:17:23 PM

Enjoy
Really like my SSDs. Currently have 3 Desk tops and 2 laptops with them in, would Never go back to a mechanical HDD for OS + Programs.
m
l
October 13, 2012 1:15:00 AM

Best answer selected by gumbydrury.
m
l
!