Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What PSU should I get with my new build?

Last response: in Components
September 25, 2010 2:36:28 PM

Im changing my motherboard to an X58 ASUS Sabertooth and I have had a core i7 930 for about 3 and a half months just sitting here, Ive been waiting for the right board and initially it was a UD3 but the Sabertooth looks even better.

Im finally replacing my old LGA775 and e7500.

Im still keeping my 5850 but I will eventually get a second 5850 and crossfire this. My current PSU is a coolmaster realpower 80plus 550W, I know this wont handle the 2 GPU's but whats the most efficient PSU that will use the LEAST amount of power? Will a 650 be fine? Or a 750W PSU?

More about : psu build

a c 77 ) Power supply
September 25, 2010 2:45:42 PM

I would go with a 750W power supply from either Corsair, SeaSonic, XFX, or Antec brands, which will provide adequate power for your system. Depending on your budget, we can recommend a specific model for your needs.
m
l
September 25, 2010 2:54:24 PM

Hi Liquidsnake71,

Last month I built myself an i7-930 rig, with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. I used the SUPERB Antec TruePower650 [TP650] (650 watt). I used this power supply because I am a reader of CustomPC magazine, and they recommend it for the hardware I am using. If you are having more than one graphics card then I would consider around an 800 watt BUT if you are just using one high end graphics card (or less) then the TP650 is ideal.

Basically, what I am saying is- you do not need any more than a 650w if you are just running one powerful graphics card. Its graphics cards that really pull the watts.

Saying that, Antec to certify this power supply for use with SLi setups.

Here is a link to it on ebuyer

Here is the review on CustomPC's website (bit-tech.net)

liquidsnake718 said:
Im changing my motherboard to an X58 ASUS Sabertooth and I have had a core i7 930 for about 3 and a half months just sitting here, Ive been waiting for the right board and initially it was a UD3 but the Sabertooth looks even better.

Im finally replacing my old LGA775 and e7500.

Im still keeping my 5850 but I will eventually get a second 5850 and crossfire this. My current PSU is a coolmaster realpower 80plus 550W, I know this wont handle the 2 GPU's but whats the most efficient PSU that will use the LEAST amount of power? Will a 650 be fine? Or a 750W PSU?

m
l
Related resources
a c 272 ) Power supply
September 25, 2010 2:55:57 PM

For 2 5850s i would go for a 750W unit, with OCing it will go over the limit for a 650W unit. Go with one of the brands Tecmo mentioned.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
September 25, 2010 3:28:04 PM

Can't go wrong with that price :)  , specially for such a quality unit.
m
l

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
September 25, 2010 3:33:56 PM

With free shipping that's a good price for the Corsair TX750.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA).
October 1, 2010 5:22:42 PM

Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
m
l
October 1, 2010 5:27:12 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
With free shipping that's a good price for the Corsair TX750.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA).

Thanks, i was eying the tx750 as well as the coolmaster 750, i will retire my current system by Halloween as I see its time build a new system. Im just waiting for the Sabertooth from my cousin who is getting it for me, and then the PSU, then ill get everything else, second gpu, ram, and perhaps an SSD which im still thinking hard about....
m
l
!