UT and Intel Extreme graphics (855GM)?

danno

Am looking to upgrade from this ol' Thinkpad soon, thought I may as well go
with something that can play UT. Like the Pentium-M/Centrino stuff out there,
excellent power efficiency, would like to go with an nVidia video chipset but
most everything that appeals to me has the 855GM (Intel) chipset.
How does this chipset fare with UT/UT2003/UT2004, is it playable or would it
it be a waste of cash?
TIA.

--
Solar-powered Linux: Slackware9.1 2.4.26 IBM ThinkPad560
1993 BRC Banzai w/60T Real Chainring & Shimano Deore XT

> a waste of cash?

Try huge waste of cash. Just out of curiousity what is your price range?
If I'm not mistaken I beleive Unreal plays better on Athlon based systems
anyway, plus they are usually cheaper. If I were you I'd look at AMD rather
than Intel.

Andrew

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 06:03:49 GMT, "Jeff Adams" <e@mail.com> wrote:

>If I'm not mistaken I beleive Unreal plays better on Athlon based systems
>anyway, plus they are usually cheaper. If I were you I'd look at AMD rather
>than Intel.

The graphics are the stumbling point rather than a small difference
either way between AMD and Intel CPU's.

> The graphics are the stumbling point rather than a small difference
> either way between AMD and Intel CPU's.

True, but he should still try to get the best bang for the buck, seeing as
he doesn't seem to be aiming for a top-end machine.

Jeff Adams schrieb:

>> a waste of cash?
>
> Try huge waste of cash. Just out of curiousity what is your price range?
> If I'm not mistaken I beleive Unreal plays better on Athlon based systems
> anyway, plus they are usually cheaper. If I were you I'd look at AMD
> rather than Intel.

I wouldnt, if it's a notebook, Intel CPUs and chipsets have better support
in issues which you don't care about on desktop systems like power
management and ACPI

--

Bora Ugurlu
mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de

danno

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 06:21:07 GMT, Jeff Adams <e@mail.com> wrote:
>> The graphics are the stumbling point rather than a small difference
>> either way between AMD and Intel CPU's.
>
> True, but he should still try to get the best bang for the buck, seeing as
> he doesn't seem to be aiming for a top-end machine.

I looked at a few AMD-based systems, but the power consumption didn't compare
with the Pentium-M systems. Ultimately I would choose a laptop with a new
Transmeta Efficion CPU and nVidia graphics, but to my knowledge, Sharp is the
only manufacturer to embrace the Efficion so far, and I believe they use
SiS or 855GM chips in the two laptops they make with the Efficion.
Power consumption is a big deal to me (see sig), so the next best choice
appears to be the ultra-low voltage Pentium-M (1GHz), of which there is quite
an array of choices. I currently favour the Fujitsu Lifebook P5020 which, like
many others, has the 855GM chipset (which doesn't cut it apparently).
I would have been satisfied if it could at least played UT1999, but perhaps
I'll have to decide if I want to sacrifice some power efficiency for a
larger screen and dedicated video chipset...

--

"Danno" <TooMuchSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 06:21:07 GMT, Jeff Adams <e@mail.com> wrote:

>> Transmeta Efficion CPU and nVidia graphics, but to my knowledge,

and then you wouldn't be playing any games at all worth a damn, regardless
of video ;op

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

danno

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 20:22:41 GMT, Danno <TooMuchSpam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Am looking to upgrade from this ol' Thinkpad soon, thought I may as well go
> with something that can play UT. Like the Pentium-M/Centrino stuff out there,
> excellent power efficiency, would like to go with an nVidia video chipset but
> most everything that appeals to me has the 855GM (Intel) chipset.
> How does this chipset fare with UT/UT2003/UT2004, is it playable or would it
> it be a waste of cash?
> TIA.

OK, perhaps I should generalize this question a bit more...
Are there any laptop video chipsets out there that will play UT1999? I'm not
looking for the "ultimate mobile gaming experience", but just for something
that will play UT half-decent.
How about an nVidia Go5200 w/32M DDR? Anyone using that? ATI Radeon Moblility?
Anyone playing on a laptop, whatcha got?

--

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:18:04 -0500, Margolis <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
> "Danno" <TooMuchSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 06:21:07 GMT, Jeff Adams <e@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Transmeta Efficion CPU and nVidia graphics, but to my knowledge,
>

> and then you wouldn't be playing any games at all worth a damn, regardless
> of video ;op

Really? How come? I recall the Crusoe CPUs were less-than-stellar, but I
was under the impression the the Efficions addressed the shortcomings (1M L2
and, IIRC fullspeed FPU)?

--

Margolis schrieb:

> "Danno" <TooMuchSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 06:21:07 GMT, Jeff Adams <e@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Transmeta Efficion CPU and nVidia graphics, but to my knowledge,
>

> and then you wouldn't be playing any games at all worth a damn, regardless
> of video ;op

How about this one?

Acer TM 291LCi-M11 PM-1400 ATI XPP

Pentium/M, Mobility Radeon 9700. The Ultimate gaming notebook :)

Found a link for it in a german shop, where I live:
http://www.mindfactory.de/cgi-bin/MindStore.storefront/40e84e000017d2562b2ec0a8011005da/Product/View/0310383#.filereader

--

Bora Ugurlu
mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de

"Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Margolis schrieb:
>
>> How about this one?
>
> Acer TM 291LCi-M11 PM-1400 ATI XPP
>
> Pentium/M, Mobility Radeon 9700. The Ultimate gaming notebook :)
>
> Found a link for it in a german shop, where I live:

http://www.mindfactory.de/cgi-bin/MindStore.storefront/40e84e000017d2562b2ec0a8011005da/Product/View/0310383#.filereader

Well first off, I don't read german, and your link just took me to a page
full of notebooks.

But it sounds fairly good. Your not going to replace a desktop anytime
soon with a portable. But that graphics card is certainly a step in the
right direction if you want to game ;o)