What kind of laptop should I buy...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 15, 2004 5:12:22 PM

Hello,

I am kind of unsure what kind of laptop I should buy. It's doesn't
have to be a non-plus-ultra one.

What I am planning to do is:

a) Reading a lot (pdf mostly and also excel and word formats!)
b) from time to time playing and modeling with Adobe Photoshop
c) looking some movies from time to time
d) listening music
e) playing games at mid/low detail (No high end games like doom 3 or
half life 2!)

Anyone got any suggestion for a "not so expensive" laptop?

Thanks so much,
D'Artagan

More about : kind laptop buy

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 16, 2004 6:10:22 AM

From the Sunday newspaper ad insert - A Compaq model is available at an HP
site for $599 - Presario 2200 notebook - Celeron 1.6 GHz, Win XP, 15 in
display, 40 gig HD, DVD-ROM, 256 MBs RAM (pc2700 DDR SDRAM).

www.hpshopping.com

voice 1-888-922-4740

$679 -$50 instant rebate, plus a $30 mail in one = $599. This was on sale
at office Depot last week for $549.. but still 600$ ain't bad for a new
notebook. I'd add more RAM later on..

But you know, I have a 400 MHz P2 laptop that only has 128 MBs RAM& Win
XP Pro - virtual memory is faster than I thought.

Oh, BTW, I don't think Doom 3 requires
"high-end" graphics.

---------------------------------
On 15 Nov 2004 14:12:22 -0800, Veflok@my-mail.ch (D'Artagan) wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am kind of unsure what kind of laptop I should buy. It's doesn't
>have to be a non-plus-ultra one.
>
>What I am planning to do is:
>
>a) Reading a lot (pdf mostly and also excel and word formats!)
>b) from time to time playing and modeling with Adobe Photoshop
>c) looking some movies from time to time
>d) listening music
>e) playing games at mid/low detail (No high end games like doom 3 or
>half life 2!)
>
>Anyone got any suggestion for a "not so expensive" laptop?
>
>Thanks so much,
>D'Artagan

...D.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 16, 2004 6:13:24 AM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 03:10:22 -0800, ...D. <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote:

>From the Sunday newspaper ad insert - A Compaq model is available at an HP
>site for $599 - Presario 2200 notebook - Celeron 1.6 GHz, Win XP, 15 in
>display, 40 gig HD, DVD-ROM, 256 MBs RAM (pc2700 DDR SDRAM).
>
>www.hpshopping.com
>
>voice 1-888-922-4740

To add, It says fo for $25 more get a 60 gig HD, and for $75 more a total
of 512 MBs RAM.

...D.
Related resources
November 16, 2004 8:12:25 AM

I wanted the same as You.

considered furst dell inspiron (2600 ?), but found out that the medion at
the aldi store was exactly half price for the same specifications : 1339 ?

It has everything: wirelless 80 gb hard drive, plenty software and.... even
a tv tuner!

very satisfied!

Max

"D'Artagan" <Veflok@my-mail.ch> schreef in bericht
> Hello,
>
> I am kind of unsure what kind of laptop I should buy. It's doesn't
> have to be a non-plus-ultra one.
>
> What I am planning to do is:
>
> a) Reading a lot (pdf mostly and also excel and word formats!)
> b) from time to time playing and modeling with Adobe Photoshop
> c) looking some movies from time to time
> d) listening music
> e) playing games at mid/low detail (No high end games like doom 3 or
> half life 2!)
>
> Anyone got any suggestion for a "not so expensive" laptop?
>
> Thanks so much,
> D'Artagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 16, 2004 9:42:55 AM

"maxi" <maxi1@pandora.be> wrote in message news:<Z_fmd.24955$_W4.1301571@phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
> I wanted the same as You.
>
> considered furst dell inspiron (2600 ?), but found out that the medion at
> the aldi store was exactly half price for the same specifications : 1339 ?
>
> It has everything: wirelless 80 gb hard drive, plenty software and.... even
> a tv tuner!
>
> very satisfied!
>
> Max
>

> "D'Artagan" <Veflok@my-mail.ch> schreef in bericht
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am kind of unsure what kind of laptop I should buy. It's doesn't
> > have to be a non-plus-ultra one.
> >
> > What I am planning to do is:
> >
> > a) Reading a lot (pdf mostly and also excel and word formats!)
> > b) from time to time playing and modeling with Adobe Photoshop
> > c) looking some movies from time to time
> > d) listening music
> > e) playing games at mid/low detail (No high end games like doom 3 or
> > half life 2!)
> >
> > Anyone got any suggestion for a "not so expensive" laptop?
> >
> > Thanks so much,
> > D'Artagan

Hello,
I totaly forgot to mention that I am living in europe. So Aldi US or
whenever it is, is not the same like Aldi in another country.

But my personal opinion about medion and aldi producuts is, they are
worth yes, but the don't statisfy my demands. Right now therE's no
Laptop at aldi :) .

So anyone any other sugestions?

Thanks btw. for any answers :)

D'Artagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 4:44:24 PM

Hola,

I am still asking for more opinions please :D . The more the better I
can evaluate :) .

Thanks so far,
D'Artagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 7:51:24 PM

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=22187

You should take a look at that. All of the notebooks there get pretty
good reviews from people.

D'Artagan wrote:
> Hola,
>
> I am still asking for more opinions please :D . The more the better I
> can evaluate :) .
>
> Thanks so far,
> D'Artagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 21, 2004 4:07:05 AM

On 17 Nov 2004 13:44:24 -0800, Veflok@my-mail.ch (D'Artagan) wrote:
>Hola,
>
>I am still asking for more opinions please :D . The more the better I
>can evaluate :) .
>
>Thanks so far,
>D'Artagan

Well if you want more power than the $600 ones I posted, which are the
cheapest you can find, be prepared to pay over $1000 easy..

I have a laptop, and just typing on it is a chore - keyboard not at the
right level is most important (I like an under-desk drawer), smaller size
than normal - I'd advise you to strongly consider keyboard size, in that:
are the keys normal size, and do they have the right amount of space in
between?

It's like cars of you ask me - for around $14,000 you can get power
windows, brakes, air conditioning, etc. Let's give this 14K car a rating
of 90. Now for another $15,000 or so or more, twice what you would pay
for the basic car with goodies, your comfort level goes up a smidgen, and
you get a car rated at 96. Big deal - if you've got cash falling out of
your pockets, OK. But otherwise not worth it.
...D.
November 21, 2004 7:58:43 PM

For myself, I took into account weight, size and battery life. Help
my friend select a Toshiba Satellite M30, that was 15.4" screen, 1.5"
thick, with Centrino and dedicated Nvidia graphics. We thought best
bang for buck.

I've slowly got use to using my laptop keyboard, forcing myself to
learn to use it in different keyboard heights, because that's what
you'll encounter when you're on the road. At home, I don't use a
mouse, or plug in keyboard, just the laptop. Now I'm quite proficient
at using my laptop.

samurai

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:07:05 -0800, ...D. <d@no_usenet_email..org>
wrote:

>On 17 Nov 2004 13:44:24 -0800, Veflok@my-mail.ch (D'Artagan) wrote:
>>Hola,
>>
>>I am still asking for more opinions please :D . The more the better I
>>can evaluate :) .
>>
>>Thanks so far,
>>D'Artagan
>
>Well if you want more power than the $600 ones I posted, which are the
>cheapest you can find, be prepared to pay over $1000 easy..
>
>I have a laptop, and just typing on it is a chore - keyboard not at the
>right level is most important (I like an under-desk drawer), smaller size
>than normal - I'd advise you to strongly consider keyboard size, in that:
>are the keys normal size, and do they have the right amount of space in
>between?
>
>It's like cars of you ask me - for around $14,000 you can get power
>windows, brakes, air conditioning, etc. Let's give this 14K car a rating
>of 90. Now for another $15,000 or so or more, twice what you would pay
>for the basic car with goodies, your comfort level goes up a smidgen, and
>you get a car rated at 96. Big deal - if you've got cash falling out of
>your pockets, OK. But otherwise not worth it.
> ...D.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 25, 2009 9:24:11 PM

you can always get a refub. macbook that is what i am on right now and it works great and does every thing you want plus more. the only thing is the cost. a refub. ranges form $800 to $950.
ps. it is so worth it to get a mac they dont freeze up as much as pc's and you can even buy a program that runs windows. you can buy one from the apple store all you have to do is when you get to apple.com and type in ref under the the search bar and something that says refub. mac should show up.

ps. 2 the macbook has a webcam and a microphone
!