Sign in with
Your question

PC wont boot unless CMOS is cleared

Last response: in Motherboards
May 10, 2011 4:40:51 AM

Lately I'm having this problem that when after I shutdown my computer for awhile, my computer wont turn back on unless I reset the CMOS. It boots up fine when I shut it down and turn it back on after about a couple seconds but it doesnt boot up after it has been shutdown for awhile. This is my first computer build and has been working for about a month.

More about : wont boot cmos cleared

a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2011 9:10:15 AM

Download this and check the VBAT. What's your PSU?

May 10, 2011 12:49:25 PM

For some reason my computer boot up after it was shutdown for several hours. I have a corsair HX650w. IDK what caused it to not boot up yesterday after it was shutdown for couple hours but I think it's fine now. I will update this if it happens again. I'm not sure if this was the source of my problem but I did enabled my floppy drive in bios after disabling it.

@mosox

I dont see any links?thanks for your answer though.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2011 3:54:29 PM

Hi Kris,

Please list for the group your Motherboard model, CPU, PSU, RAM etc. and what OS you are using. And if you are overclocking the computer or not. In the MIT section of the BIOS, write down the BCLK, CPU voltage, Vtt voltage, RAM voltage, and list them.

Disabling or Enabling the Floppy Controller shouldn't have any effect on whether your computer will Boot.

There are 6 separate phases of System StartUp, but problems can be pinned down depending whether they occur before before the System Setup Splash screen, before the "Starting windows" or after "Starting windows" but before Logon completes.

May 14, 2011 5:17:56 AM

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy lately. So here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 unlocked and OC'd @ 3.9GHz
PSU: Corsair HX650W
RAM: Gskill 8GB DDR3 1333 OC'd
GPU: ATI Radeon HP 4600

All my voltage are stock except for the RAM and CPU voltage. My RAM voltage is 1.6V and 1.475V for my CPU. I think that I kinda undervolt my CPU that's why it's not booting after a couple of hours from shutting down. (It's been probably a month since I OC'd my cpu btw) It was 1.425V when my computer was not booting and I increased it to 1.475V. My computer is booting fine now. Thanks for all your help guys.
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2011 12:52:53 PM

Kris,
Glad to hear it's working now. When you OC's your RAM slightly, you probably increased the BCLK, which will affect the CPU also, so you have to up the Vcc slightly like you did.

Always makes you feel good when you figured it out yourself, and add another layer of confidence to your hobby.

John
!