Solved

Mercury PVM7 V1.0 and Sata Hard Disk

Last response: in Motherboards
May 10, 2011 7:49:30 AM

Hi Everybody :hello: 

I have motherboard of the following make:
Mercury PVM7 Pro V 1.0

Here is the link to its specifications:
http://www.mercury-pc.com/product-detail.php?link=p-mai...

I have already attached two 160 GB IDE Had Disk Drives each on primary and secondary IDE channel. Now I want to attach a third drive which is 1 TB SATA.

Can I do this with my motherboard? Please have a look at the specifications of this motherboard and please tell me if it is possible to attach a third sata drive to the motherboard. If it is not possible then please tell me any alternative solution to this. I am critically short of disk space now. Need some urgent solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance :) 

Best solution

a c 212 V Motherboard
May 10, 2011 1:51:15 PM

Sure, all you need to do is to connect the new HDD to a SATA port on your motherboard and power from your power supply. Your OS will see the new drive and give you the option to format it. Very straight forward process.
May 10, 2011 4:36:52 PM

COLGeek said:
Sure, all you need to do is to connect the new HDD to a SATA port on your motherboard and power from your power supply. Your OS will see the new drive and give you the option to format it. Very straight forward process.

Thanks for your reply :) 

Do you mean that I don't need to configure anything? The reason I am confused in this is because I already have two IDE hard disks both connected to the primary and secondary IDE ports as masters, there is also a DVD writer attached as a secondary slave to the secondary IDE port. If I attach the SATA drive to the SATA port what will it be configured as? Master or Slave? Also, the Motherboard Manual that I provided link for in my earlier post states something in the BIOS setup section. I am quoting from the manual here:

This is what it states in the BIOS setup section:
Quote:

Primary IDE Master/Primary IDE Slave/Secondary IDE Master/Secondary
IDE Slave

Your computer has two IDE channels and each channel can be installed with one
or two devices (Master and Slave). In addition, this motherboard supports two
SATA channels and each channel allows one SATA device to be installed. Use
these items to configure each device on the IDE channel.

Another one here under the features setup page of the bios setup utility:
Quote:

OnBoard SATA-IDE
Use this item to select RAID mode, IDE mode or Disabled for onboard SATA-IDE.

Does this imply that I can either use SATA or IDE and not both? And does the new SATA HDD appear as an IDE device on my computer for this specific motherboard? Sorry, I am a bit ignorant when it comes to hardware. I want to confirm all this before I spend money on the new HDD.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
a c 212 V Motherboard
May 10, 2011 4:38:24 PM

SATA drives don't work the same way as IDE drives in terms of master/slave. Just ensure that your SATA ports are enabled in your BIOS and you will be fine.
m
l
May 11, 2011 5:06:45 AM

Best answer selected by angela_s.
m
l
!