Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

ATI Cards + Nvidia Physx. Up and running.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Desktops
  • Physx
  • ATI
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 7:52:07 AM

My 9800GT came in today, followed the instructions in this guide http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3344/ati_radeon_hd_58...

EDIT: The whole setup took less than 5 mintues.

and I am now running Physx with two 5870's. Now obviously other people have done this, but I am pretty excited about the possibilities to be had.

As you can see, Physx is checked, under my ATI card of course:

Taking a screenshot of my desktop was a little tricky, because enabling Physx requires you to extend the desktop to a fake monitor, at least when using this method.

So who wants to see some benches ? ( I don't have a ton of games that us Physx, not that there is THAT many anyways. )

More about : ati cards nvidia physx running

a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 8:24:40 AM

Here's one quick screenshot I took when testing Metro 2033.

As you can see, they have added extra particle effects with bullet impacts. Anyways, I know it is working after testing out Metro, also, I am kind of surprised that the 9800GT is only pushed to about 15% maximum so far, and only at brief moments, like when throwing a grenade, you know, when the Phsyx stuff is happening. I am glad to be able to assume that a lowly 9800GT is sufficent for my Physx needs. Looking forward to Mafia 2 and all their Physx hoopla.

I really think Nvidia is screwing up BIG TIME by not officially letting ATI users purchase and use a Physx card. I mean, I was never going to hold out for a Fermi, sometimes people just want to go ATI, maybe because they are cheaper, or less power hungry, or their board supports crossfire, whatever. Why wouldn't Nvidia want to at least get SOME kind of leftovers from the ATI buyers ?? It boggles my mind. I mean what is worse, getting no sales, or some sales ? And I'm sure vendors would love to move older cards and advertise them as Physx cards, to get them off the shelf.

Anyways, I highly suggest looking into a Physx card, no I am not a blind fanboy of Physx and Nvidia. The tech is cool, and I can't wait to make my first playthrough of batman with it. And it's def. worth the measly 80 dollars I paid at the egg for this card. If Nvidia truly wanted to keep Physx away from ATI users, well, they just got pwned.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 10:11:08 AM

considering the number of ati end-users who wants physX acceleration (every week you'd see 2 or more threads here spawning up), you should blame ati for not coming up with a PhysX alternative (which evidently disproves the meticulous conclusion ati fanboys chant "who cares about PhysX").

and if any ati fanboy got his balls hurt from what i said, please refrain from mentioning openCL/havok, 5 years and counting and all we have is a tech demo for the latter, the former with no mention in development hell in any up and coming game whatsoever.

as oppose to eyefinity, a physX alternative would be more accessible.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 329 U Graphics card
a c 223 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 12:42:31 PM

annisman, Glad to see that you got it working, did you have to go looking for a particular version of the 257.15's or did you just download and use the first you found?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 4:55:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:
annisman, Glad to see that you got it working, did you have to go looking for a particular version of the 257.15's or did you just download and use the first you found?

That's a good question, and something I should probably address.

I actually started downloading from Nvidia's own website to begin with, then, thinking better of it (maybe they fixed the bug in the drivers and re-released it ?) I decided to download from Guru3D's website, assuming they would have the original driver that allows Physx + ATI.

Here is the link to the drivers if anyone is interested, I know one person in another thread said that they couldn't get their setup working with these newer drivers, so maybe these will help them. http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare--257.15-Win-7-%7C...

They are an international version so they are a little bigger than usual.
m
l
a c 329 U Graphics card
a c 223 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 5:22:45 PM

I've suggested to a couple of people that they might be better off getting the driver from Guru3D rather than direct from Nvidia, so I'm glad to hear it's that one that you're using and that it works OK.
m
l
June 16, 2010 5:32:45 PM

Quick questions, I haven't searched yet as I just stumbled across this thread, but I have an ASUS p7p55d pro mobo with xfired 5770s. My 3rd pci-e lane is only 4x, will this be able to run physx? Also, I have an old 7800gt laying around, could I use that to process the physx? Just curious more than anything right now.
m
l
a c 329 U Graphics card
a c 223 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 5:40:50 PM

thestrangebrew said:
Quick questions, I haven't searched yet as I just stumbled across this thread, but I have an ASUS p7p55d pro mobo with xfired 5770s. My 3rd pci-e lane is only 4x, will this be able to run physx? Also, I have an old 7800gt laying around, could I use that to process the physx? Just curious more than anything right now.

You're going to need a card from the 8600GT and up series, the 7xxx series can't be used.
m
l
June 16, 2010 5:49:49 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You're going to need a card from the 8600GT and up series, the 7xxx series can't be used.

Ok thanks. But the 4x lane would suffice?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 5:58:11 PM

Grats on getting it to work, but you shouldn't have had to extend the desktop. I have a GT 240 set on a 4x lane and it's on a second fake monitor but no extended desktop. This way there's no hassle with stuff randomly going to the wrong desktop. I don't have the link handy but it was on the overclockers forum. It's also odd to me that it shows PhysX checked under your ATi card. GPUZ shows all 3 of my cards, and PhysX is only on the GT240. Interesting!

I tried the beta drivers from Nvidia with no success, so I guess they already "fixed" it. The method I used was installing the 197.45 drivers, PhysX off Metro (9.10.0222) and the GenL patch V1.03. Works great.

OP: I've so far run Metro, Batman, Dark Void (briefly), and Mirror's Edge. Only Batman really excersises it up to about 50%, the rest of them never higher than 20% usage, generally more like 10%. Batman really added a ton of cool PhysX stuff. Lots of smoke particles, the papers everywhere, cloth flow + tearing. I'm going to buy Cryostatis on Steam in the near future to test it out, looks like it adds a decent amount of features.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 6:36:25 PM

Imho, there is a apparent reason why Nvidia does not support physX in ATI or anyone besides Nvidia hardware systems. The gpu driver is hooked to the o/s gui and is basically the make or break driver after your chipset. People having freezing problems, or bsod's, who aren't enthusiasts would be going from tech support to tech support. Its either one way or another, if Nvidia officially supported it, they would have to do all the research on driver conflicts in millions more hardware combinations. We see people that are experienced chasing ghosts/troubles with new builds. Having two gpu drivers running at the same time could be harrowing for some.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 6:58:59 PM

thestrangebrew said:
Ok thanks. But the 4x lane would suffice?

Considering how little the Physx cards are utilized, I'm sure the 4X slot would be perfectly fine. (There shouldn't be any bottlenecking at all) If it was a 1X, then yes you would not want to use it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 6:59:07 PM

wolfram23 said:
Grats on getting it to work, but you shouldn't have had to extend the desktop. I have a GT 240 set on a 4x lane and it's on a second fake monitor but no extended desktop. This way there's no hassle with stuff randomly going to the wrong desktop. I don't have the link handy but it was on the overclockers forum. It's also odd to me that it shows PhysX checked under your ATi card. GPUZ shows all 3 of my cards, and PhysX is only on the GT240. Interesting!

I tried the beta drivers from Nvidia with no success, so I guess they already "fixed" it. The method I used was installing the 197.45 drivers, PhysX off Metro (9.10.0222) and the GenL patch V1.03. Works great.

OP: I've so far run Metro, Batman, Dark Void (briefly), and Mirror's Edge. Only Batman really excersises it up to about 50%, the rest of them never higher than 20% usage, generally more like 10%. Batman really added a ton of cool PhysX stuff. Lots of smoke particles, the papers everywhere, cloth flow + tearing. I'm going to buy Cryostatis on Steam in the near future to test it out, looks like it adds a decent amount of features.

If you don't extend the desktop using this method, the Physx box does not get checked in GPUZ, so I think you have to.

BTW, is a 9800GT better than a GT240 with Physx ? I hate Nvidia's naming scheme, I imagine they are probably somewhere on par, correct ?
m
l
a c 329 U Graphics card
a c 223 Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 7:03:28 PM

A GT240 is about the same as a 9600GT, so go with the 9800GT.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 7:21:33 PM

Annisman said:
If you don't extend the desktop using this method, the Physx box does not get checked in GPUZ, so I think you have to.

BTW, is a 9800GT better than a GT240 with Physx ? I hate Nvidia's naming scheme, I imagine they are probably somewhere on par, correct ?

That was needed in the past from what I've read but not anymore. See:
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=174041
(that one links to this one)
http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-m...

"It is now much easier to get PhysX working with a Nvidia card while an Ati card is in the system because you no longer have to extend desktops to get hardware PhysX to work properly, which means no more accidentally dragging you cursor off the screen, and no more programs minimizing to your imaginary screen requiring a restart to see the program again"

And what mousemonkey said, the GT240 is about the same as a 9600GT although new architecture gives it a little edge.

To thestrangebrew: 4x is fine. In FluidMark my PhysX card can't go over 83% usage on the 4x lane, but most games don't get to near that much PhysX usage.

You can see my little thread on it here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290283-33-dedicated-p...
m
l
a c 264 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 7:24:04 PM

Notty22's point about support is well-taken.
Still, nVidia says "All, or NOTHING," so I say "All right then, nothing. You don't get a dime."
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 9:32:09 PM

@Wolfram:

The people who wrote the article that I referenced to set up my system mentioned that you usually don't have to extend the monitor, but then mentioned that specifically for this method you have to. So I think they know there are better ways, but for this method it is required, but you're right, there are ways to do it without the extension of the desktop. For now, I'm not going to mess with it, I mean it works, and it's not a huge hassle.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 16, 2010 9:33:59 PM

Sounds good annisman :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 9:44:23 PM

Don't know about you, but I like James Dean right now, ATI and Nvidia in our systems.... we're rebels baby.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 11:53:23 PM

Physx card got up to about 85% at a couple spots in the Darkest of Days demo, interesting. Anybody else see those kind of numbers ?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 17, 2010 1:01:39 AM

Yours is running at 8x? or 16x? I wish I had that available, my card literally can't go over 83% (or at least, that's as high as it gets in FluidMark but I guess that could be a glitch). Highest I've seen is 50%, but I haven't played Darkest of Days. Is it any good? I was considering it, read some reviews, and let's just say I might try it but I'm not willing to spend anything on it lol. I'll buy Cryostasis on Steam tho it looks pretty fun.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2010 2:02:35 AM

Well the Phsyx is running at 8x, and I just found out that it limits one of my 5870's to 8x as well, instead of 16/16.

So it is 5870 #1 @ 16X
5870 #2 @ 8X
and 9800GT @8x

Anyone see an issue with this ?
m
l
June 17, 2010 2:23:51 AM

yep chipset hardware limitations, either have 2x16 or 1x16 and 2x8, someone once told me that there would be very little difference in a cf slave card running x8 or x16. But Im dubious myself as I remember agggess ago I had 2 4870s when they first came out but only on a p35 mobo (i think? was a while ago) which could only do x16 for one card when another gpu was in the second x16* pcie slot. *Was cleverly worded so it said 2x16 pcie slots, they just neglected to tell me that whilst they both could do x16 it was only if you had 1 card in either slot... anywaz point is that my results were rather average in terms of scalability when adding the extra gpu, whether that was the drivers or the rest of that old setup that was affecting it I dont know...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2010 2:43:29 AM

Thanks for the insight Delta, I don't think there will be much difference either. And did your P35 have PCIE 1.0 or 2.0 ?

@Wolfram: Darkest of Days is 40$ on Steam, WAY too expensive for what you get, however Cryostasis is 12 bucks right now.
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
a c 109 Î Nvidia
June 17, 2010 3:48:04 AM

With the P6T, I run my i7 920, with two 5870's and a 9800gt physx card at x16/16/4. I haven't noticed any issues at x4 for my physX card.
m
l
June 17, 2010 4:07:02 AM

np, cant remember if it was 1.0 or 2.0, think it was 2.0 but anways bystander is correct. I forgot to say other configurations are possible but Im pretty sure it will depend on your mobo. I have a p6t deluxe which according to asus only allows either 16/8/8 or 16/16/1, funnily enough the basic p6t can do 16/16/4. Not sure about your gigabyte mobo though might pay to check the specs.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 17, 2010 5:22:46 AM

Yeah I saw that $12 is in my price range ;) 

As to the 8x lanes, that's fine my CF 5850s are both at 8x as I have a P55 board and i5 so that's all it can handle (16x single lane, 8x/8x CF). Honestly the difference from 16x to 8x is tops 3% less. Both my 5850s can get taxed to 99% so no problems, and my benchmarking saw as high as 90% increase in FPS (in FurMark - gaming generally 70-80%). 4x causes a bottleneck tho, at least that's my conclusion after seeing FluidMark maxing my PhysX card at 83% usage... it just can't send enough data on a 4x lane for max usage.
Anyway I only asked because you said Darkest of Days made it go up over 80% usage... pretty intense PhysX I guess. As I think I mentioned, the most I've seen so far in game was only 50% in Batman AA.
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
a c 109 Î Nvidia
June 17, 2010 5:45:26 AM

I can't find the artical. I'll remove my thought until I can.
m
l