Sign in with
Your question

Place to buy custom pre-built desktop computer

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2010 7:38:16 AM

I've looked around the forum, most of them all goes back to self-build...

Anyways... I've already had a list of parts that I've gotten from Newegg. (originally was going to self-build)

List of parts:
Processor – AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard – GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770
Memory – G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Hard Drive – Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Video Card – HIS H485FM1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
Power Supply – OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2
Case – Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Operating System – Window 7 Ultimate Full version - OEM
Optical Drive – LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
Monitor – ASUS VH202T-P Glossy black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ speaker
Total comes out around 1000, 1300 with shipping and tax

But... the thing is... my father said that self-build computers gets no support from companies... especially in the Window 7 OEM part.

So, he wanted me to go pre-build instead. (or do newegg supports you when something is wrong with the computer, the important part is... "when building the computer and can't figure out which part isn't working" - since we've never actually build a computer before and have no real knowledge of the parts inside.)

I heard and looked around some of the well known company sites that offers custom builds. (but than there's always negative reviews from some other threads)

What I am asking is...
Which companies or any other sites that can pre-build a custom desktop computer to the parts I listed (or at least similar) and will support you when something goes wrong.
(I don't see anywhere in newegg that offers customizing desktops or build a desktop from listed parts)
July 24, 2010 7:58:04 AM

Well I'd talk to your dad. the combined warranties from the parts typically will be much better then the crappy 1 year warranty that you get with a prebuilt. You just have to figure out what part is failing your self. Example a WD drive can have a 5 year warranty and memory and gpu can have lifetime warranties.

Windows is the last thing that will need a warranty. Any problems you have with windows will most likely be the result of viruses, faulty hardware or drivers. These things are not windows fault. You are not going to get any major help from companies to do anything worth while with windows like setting up home groups, vpn or a backup plan.

Anyway try ibuypower if you can't get your dad to see reason.
http://www.ibuypower.com/

BTW unless you can tell me why you need windows 7 ultimate I would just get the win 7 x64 home and put the money into a newer gpu. Perhaps a 5830 or a Nvidia gtx 460
July 24, 2010 3:34:11 PM

Ebay has some stores that offer pre-built desktops that you can customize all the parts to.
If you're American, there's a store called Magic-Micro or if you're Canadian like me there's a store called dpowerseller. I'm sure there's more too. You can just search around for different ebay stores that can customize a pre-built desktop. They usually have good prices too.
July 25, 2010 4:46:11 AM

Thing is... as I previously wrote.
We have no idea the "parts" inside a desktop computer (such as wiring and placements)
Which means we have a higher chance of breaking stuff when building (as it will be my first time building a computer)
And if it did break, we will have no idea how to find out which parts is broken, as we have no previous experience with how computer (inner) hardwares run.

The reason I want the Ultimate is because of the 35 language function (as me and my father at times uses Chinese Softwares or type on the web, I myself at times uses Japanese softwares such as games.)
Any other version of Window 7 doesn't have that function... (I don't care about the bit locker function tho...)

Another reason for pre-build is... if a part is broken, we would have to send all parts back as we can't figure out which parts is working or not... which means we would have to send the parts one-by-one... (and there's 9 parts, excluding the monitor and OS) - meaning we would have to do bunch of paper/ online works for REMs... which at times is a pain and annoying.
With a pre-build, we can just send the "one" desktop back if there's any problem with it.

I tried eBay... but most of those stores all have over 300+ base fees... which in turn if I build from them... it would go over my budget which is around 1000.

I really wished Newegg would have a pre-build offer (from parts listed, not bundle specials)... so I wouldn't had to go through all this trouble of looking for companies...

O well, I'll try to look into some more eBay stores and the 2 stores you guys listed.
Thanks for Replying and offering me some options.

___ ___ ___ ___ ___

We have 2 working computers, but they're XP, one is English, another is Chinese. (they're both 8+ years old)
The reason I am buying a new computer is because my laptop broke a while back. (and can only be fixed by reformat, but with a OEM... I can do nothing as it doesn't seem like the company replies back (been more than 3 month now), and as it's OEM... Microsoft doesn't care about it at all...)
So I had to use the old XP, which only have like 128 MB graphic, less than 1 GB RAM... meaning I can't really play any games on it at all without it constantly crashing and freezing up (even at lowest settings)...
Not to mention I multi-task by working with 30 FireFox Tabs, 4 Word documents, 1 video window, 1 video player, and 1-2 game windows all on at once. Also, I read and watch anime, manga, dramas daily (almost constantly) and as we know... manga reading means constantly refreshing webpages thus increases the stress on the memories. And streaming videos also puts stress on the memories... less than 1 GB RAM can't handle all these... not to mention the sukky 8 years ago processor...

EDIT:
Forgot to mention... please give only companies that doesn't do "SALES TAX" for CA residents (or at least not at a real high price)... cause most companies are over 170 USD... and that puts me over the budget instantly.

~~ Been a while, I am guessing there is no real solution to my question... as it's probably too tough to be solved.
~~ Since 90% of all pre-build companies either have high base cost or high sales tax... (which both goes over my budget).
~~ And as self-build is also a major problem... I guess no one will be able to help me when a part is broken.

~~ Well... I thought of something, but it's extremely hard... it's to find someone to build the system for me from the parts I listed and if there's problem, they'll give me supports for FREE... (but I doubt ppls would want to build systems and support others for FREE...)

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Edit 2:

Well... thanks for the help in looking for stores.

But I recently found an auction from eBay.
Out of bunch of computer companies, went through 50+ pages... found a guy that was selling a custom pre-built computer for around 800 USD. (and his parts is extremely similar to what I wanted)

Parts:
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz AM3
Motherboard - ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard
Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Video Card - HIS H575Q1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive - LG 22X DVD Burner SATA Lightscribe Support
Case - RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WU Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply - LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V
Cooling System - X2 80mm Blue LED Case Fans, X1 120mm Rear Exhaust Fan, X1 EVERCOOL SB-F1 PCI Slot Case Cooler
OS - NONE

He had offered any other upgrade, exchange, or OS.

Needless to say... I upgraded the 640 GB HDD to a 1000 GB HDD for 20 more dollars.
And added a Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit (retail, full version - he'll include the box, CoA, Disk and whatever come with Win 7 Box in shipment) for only 170 USD, that's 100 USD off regular price (installation cost 5 USD)

In all... the combined cost of system + upgrade + OS + shipping is around 1000 USD. (there was no Tax, as we live in different states)

The only thing that's different from my build is... it didn't include a monitor - meaning I paid around 100 USD for the labor fee (which is way less than those other stores... where their base fee are more than 300+ USD)

Not to mention this person got more cooling systems included than what I had...
And the Graphic Card... my was 4850, but he had 5750.

Here are his pictures of parts included
!