Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help on XP Professional Installation Upgrade...

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:49:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hello,
I recently wanted to upgrade my PC from Home to professional...I however
didn't realize I had an XP pro disk, not an upgrade disk.
Anyway, I didn't delete the partition, so I still have all my files present.
However, I'm having two problems:
1. I have a language learning program that installs from 4 CD's. I've
misplaced 1 of them and thus cannot re-install. However, I can still see the
folder and my files in the program files folder. Is there a way I can get
back to running my program?
2. All my outlook contacts have disappeared. Any way to get them back (Like
above, is the file hidden somewhere?

Thanks in Advance,

Rookie.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:14:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Like microsoft says "Do not upgrade from home to Pro" do a clean
installation...
You should,run file transfer wizard,set as old computer,save data in a new
folder that you create,then once its thru,transfer to a cd.Specially if a
program
cant be reinstalled,ftw will also act as a backup...

"Access rookie" wrote:

> Hello,
> I recently wanted to upgrade my PC from Home to professional...I however
> didn't realize I had an XP pro disk, not an upgrade disk.
> Anyway, I didn't delete the partition, so I still have all my files present.
> However, I'm having two problems:
> 1. I have a language learning program that installs from 4 CD's. I've
> misplaced 1 of them and thus cannot re-install. However, I can still see the
> folder and my files in the program files folder. Is there a way I can get
> back to running my program?
> 2. All my outlook contacts have disappeared. Any way to get them back (Like
> above, is the file hidden somewhere?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Rookie.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:06:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

In news:178E7230-B5AB-4704-BEC0-906995CE074B@microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:

> Like microsoft says "Do not upgrade from home to Pro" do a
> clean
> installation...


I disagree. Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade
to XP replaces almost everything, and usually works very well.



My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's much
easier than a clean installation. You can always change your mind
and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.



However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the
need to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting
to upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a
sudden power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the
loss of everything. For that reason you should make sure you have
backups and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst
happens.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:10:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Andrew E. wrote:
> Like microsoft says "Do not upgrade from home to Pro" do a clean
> installation...


Liar. Microsoft says no such thing. Quite the opposite, in fact.



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
!